Did I choose the wrong profession?

Did I choose the wrong profession?

Student (Real Estate Agent in Training) · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 4 votes

I will be taking my pre-license classes in two weeks so that I can get my real estate license. In the meantime I have been researching the real estate industry in general.

Lately, I keep running into articles saying agents are obsolete, they are the scum of the earth, they are pathological liars and 80% of the newbies will be burnt out in the first year. The other 20% clawed their way to survival by lying/cheating their clients.

Yes, this is partially an exaggeration, but there does seem to be a general disdain for this profession. I had never felt this way myself and was really surprised to read some comments on certain articles by home owners.  

How do I, as a new agent, rise above the "bad press"? Advice from long-time veteran agents are greatly needed and appreciated...

0Reply
164 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

If you do not wish to be known as a liar be honest. If you wish to rise above the bad press represent your client to the best of your ability and do what is in their best interest even if that means you would earn a lower commission or none at all. 

See this reply in the discussion

82 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional Property Investor · Brisbane, Queensland · Member since 2015 · 165 posts · 160 votes
    11y

    @Jerusha Holder There is only one thing that maters in a service business like real estate. The brand of you. Who you are and what you stand for. Not the brand of other people. 

    Your reputation is your brand and most people, I would suggest, want to deal with quality brands, not poor quality brands.

    Be true to your own brand and your own objectives, follow the rules of the game, abide by the laws of the industry and follow the most successful exponents of the game you will increase your chances of win.

    Good luck on your journey!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur · Greenville, WI · Member since 2015 · 138 posts · 27 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jerusha Holder:

    I will be taking my pre-license classes in two weeks so that I can get my real estate license. In the meantime I have been researching the real estate industry in general.

    Lately, I keep running into articles saying agents are obsolete, they are the scum of the earth, they are pathological liars and 80% of the newbies will be burnt out in the first year. The other 20% clawed their way to survival by lying/cheating their clients.

    Yes, this is partially an exaggeration, but there does seem to be a general disdain for this profession. I had never felt this way myself and was really surprised to read some comments on certain articles by home owners.  

    How do I, as a new agent, rise above the "bad press"? Advice from long-time veteran agents are greatly needed and appreciated...

     It takes thick skin to be in this business.

    Millions, Billions, and More are made in the Real Estate Industry.

    :)

    Hopefully you have some good mentors. If not, then you need to seek them out. Find people who have values aligned with yours and are successful in RE... and then mimic everything they do. Ignore the critics, do good for your family and your profession, and prosper.

    Good luck :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · The Woodlands, TX · Member since 2014 · 345 posts · 288 votes
    11y

    @Mimi Booker

    It is unfortunate that you have had so many bad experiences. Give me a call, I will be happy to help you - I live and invest in the woodlands and know it like the back of my hand. 

    jeff

  • Investor · Spring, TX · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Judy Parker:

    Do you work FOR FREE? How about signing a Buyers Agency agreement first, to guarantee that you will pay that agent. Then, perhaps, you may have some credibility.

     Wow!  Nice attitude you have, glad people can see your true colors here.  What's wrong, did my post hit home?  

    Oh, and heck no will I do that.  You work for me, and if I don't like you I for sure will not hire you.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    Some professions end up with a stereotype or stigma. Used car salesman comes to mind. Do they deserve it? Who knows. Other then on biggerpockets I don't think I have ever really noticed real estate agents being a profession with a negative stigma though. 

    At the end of the day

    • I have seen good agents.
    • I have seen bad agents.
    • I have seen clients very mad at their agents. For good reason.
    • I have seen clients very mad at their agents. For no reason at all.
    • I have seen very happy clients who should be very happy with their agent.
    • I have seen very happy clients who should have been very mad at their agent.

    I recommend anyone thinking about entering the real estate industry work to the best of their abilities. Great thing about a job like this is that the failures or successes of others do not have much impact on your failures or successes. You can be as successful or unsuccessful as you want to be.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Mimi Booker:

    Recent observations of mine in dealing with Real Estate agents:

    (I currently do not have one, so as I'm looking for properties I've been calling on the selling agent, then if I like him/her I plan to use them as my buyer agent)

    1.  On Saturday I requested (via email) more information on about 25 properties for sale on Zillow.  As of noon today, 6 agents have replied.  Only 2 seemed interested, the others were just generic reply emails.  Guess everyone is too successful to want a new client...

    2. Went to see an agent to show me several properties last Tuesday. Met at her office, printed off some listings from MLS, mapped out a plan to see them. Then she asks me if I could drive us since her car was full of personal belongings. I will NEVER contact this agent again.

    3. Visited with an agent upon a recommendation from my loan officer.  Asked her to show me 3 properties in The Woodland that I'm interested in.  The whole time she kept trying to convince me to look at a few properties in Spring (nearby, but NOT The Woodlands; locals know what I mean).   Very uncomfortable since I told her I'm only looking in The Woodlands, she wouldn't listen.  Found out later that she was the listing agent on those properties in Spring, so was trying to steer me to those to get double commission.  Will NEVER contact her again, although she already mailed me a calendar with her scheming face on it.  Threw that away real quick.

    I'll keep looking until I find an agent who will LISTEN to what I want, ACT professional, and heck even RESPOND to an email.   Who thought this would be so hard?

    Mimi- I have been a Agent in Texas for 25+ years and a Broker for 21+ years.  Here are a few observations based on my experience that might help you define a good agent for an investor:

    1. Never ever use Zillow ! It is utterly worthless in Texas as the information is often incorrect and Zestimates are COMPLETELY inaccurate as Texas is a non-disclosure state and sales prices are not reported. Use Realtor.com as they are the only site that will have all listings that are in the MLS. If you are in the Houston area you can also use HAR.com

    2.  In the current market,  you are going to miss 90% of the deals waiting for someone to drive you around in a car to look at properties.  Have an agent set up a search for you, or in most places you can do it yourself, that you receive new listings instantly.  Then do a drive by of the house and the neighborhood and rule out the ones that don't meet your criteria.  A successful agent is going to have many clients and might not be able to drop everything and show you the property at that moment but......

    3.  The BEST agents from an investor prospective will.....

         Be a GREAT negotiator on your behalf

         Protect you when writing a contract to give you an out if necessary

        Write the offer in a multiple offer situation to make your stand out

        Negotiate repairs if necessary and have rehab knowledge

        Be able to navigate all the pitfalls during the closing process

        Be a problem SOLVER not a problem creator

    I guarantee you that these qualities are far more important than any of the issues you presented and will save you thousands over the agent who drives you here and there.  Good luck with you search

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.