What Skills are Real Estate companies looking for when hiring?

What Skills are Real Estate companies looking for when hiring?

Whistler, British Columbia · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 0 votes

Hi all,

I am in the process of immigrating to Vancouver, Canada. The process could take up to 8 months before I become a legal resident. As a result, I can not legally work in the country. However, I am going to use this time to take some courses which I hope will serve me well once I am able to enter the job market. 

My goal is to get a job in real estate, as I believe this is the best way to understand the property market. I intend to, eventually, use this knowledge to make calculated investments in property.

MY QUESTION IS:

What would an employer, in real estate, like to see from a job applicant?

I don't have much existing experience in property.

I plan on taking: Real estate license, Accounting course, Sales course and some others.

Look forward to your responses and thank you!

0Reply
17 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    10y

    Connect and learn from someone that personally owns real estate.  

    Frank

  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2013 · 210 posts · 138 votes
    10y

    I think that will be plenty, to start with!  Most big name RE companies will have their own internal training as well, and the rest is just going to be getting your feet wet and getting on the job experience.  You should know that most US companies (I don't know about Canada) do not pay a wage...you are an independent contractor, which means you will want to either have a backup income of some sort....either another job, pension, or savings, to pay your personal bills until you get your first commission check.  In addition, that check may or may not be very large, depending on what you sell, and your next check may be soon after....or months away...depending on how well you hustle / sell.

  • Whistler, British Columbia · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thank you Frank and Karyn!

    Fortunately, I do have a property down in Central America that is bringing in income. So, working for commission will be ok. Initially, I'll be focusing on the educational side, although landing commissions will obviously be welcomed!

    Thanks again!

  • Real Estate Agent · Vancouver, British Columbia · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Hello and Welcome Christopher,

    I am currently taking the Real Estate Licensing course in Vancouver.  I'd be happy to help if you have any questions about the course or schools in Vancouver in general. I've lived here  most of my life so have some local knowledge.

    Good luck to you on your move and your education!

    Tanya

  • Whistler, British Columbia · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thank you Tanya! I'll send you a private message right away.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2008 · 579 posts · 225 votes
    10y

    To work with a real estate broker they're only looking for one thing... The willingness to work.

    That's it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.