Seeking Advice Re: People Coming to Office Looking for Rentals

Seeking Advice Re: People Coming to Office Looking for Rentals

Real Estate Broker · Kingman, AZ · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 8 votes

Hello all-

I know my bio doesn't reflect it, but I just passed my test and can activate my license as soon as my broker gets back from vacation...so, yes I'm technically still an "unlicensed assistant". 

Anyway, at least once a day, we have someone walk in to the office looking for rentals. My broker and I both have personal rentals, that are currently occupied, and at this time my broker isn't interested in property management-so we have to refer them to other offices. It stings! 

Here's my question: what would be a good way to approach these individuals about possibly (if their credit and situation allows it) becoming home owners? I know some will not be interested, and that's fine, but I'm wondering if some have no idea that it's something that's within reach for them. Has anyone here dealt with this before? Anyone care to offer any advice?

Thanks!

0Reply
9 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Indialantic, FL · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 71 votes
    10y
    I used to not deal with rentals at all. It can take quite a bit of time and the rental commission is very small.. I changed my mindset and started trying to help everyone that contacted me. I've done 3 rentals in the last six months. One of them called me last week to help them buy a house. The time I spent with them on the rental will turn into a big commission for me. If you can find the time, help them get a rental, stay in touch and maybe they will buy or refer you to a friend/family member. Or if you're lucky, maybe you can convince them to buy after you show them a few rentals.
  • Real Estate Broker · Kingman, AZ · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Thanks Scott. I always give them the name and number of other agencies here that offer rentals, as no matter what, I still want them to find what they are looking for, even if we don't offer it...but like I said, it sure stings! I am going to start some dialog though, moving forward and see if people know that they can actually own a pretty nice home in this area for the same or less than they are paying for rent-if they can qualify, that is. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.