Looking for attorney and realtor in Orange County, NY

Looking for attorney and realtor in Orange County, NY

Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 2 votes

Hello everyone, 

I'd appreciate it very much if anyone knew of any investor-friendly attorneys or realtors in the Orange County, NY area. Looking to get started with my first deal. I'm looking to start specifically of my local market of Port Jervis, NY if that helps any. I'm interested in getting into a multi-family property and possibly using my VA loan, maybe a 203k loan or being financed by my parents for this first deal.

1Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Matamoras, PA · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 32 votes
10y

I would start by calling the listing agent for the properties you're interestes in. Technically you cannot use any of those loans solely for a investment property. From my understanding it has to be owner occupied primary residence. 

With that said, you can still purchase up to a 4 unit building with a standard va home or fha loan etc.

The banks doesn't consider that a investment even though it produces income. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Matamoras, PA · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 32 votes
    10y

    I would start by calling the listing agent for the properties you're interestes in. Technically you cannot use any of those loans solely for a investment property. From my understanding it has to be owner occupied primary residence. 

    With that said, you can still purchase up to a 4 unit building with a standard va home or fha loan etc.

    The banks doesn't consider that a investment even though it produces income. 

  • Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Jon W. Thanks for the tip.  It'd be a live-in fix and flip or buy and hold depending on how things go.

  • Pocatello, ID · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Jon W.

    I would avoid calling the listing agent directly. the reason for that is the listing agent is already contract with the seller, not you. meaning that agent will have the sellers best interest in mind. By haveing your own agent they will be able to advocate on your behalf and always maintain your best interest in mind no matter what situation arises. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    10y
    Dennis VanHouten good luck with the house. Aaron B Lee I agree with Jonathan Wright on calling the listing agent to get the house. I'm not sure if you meant don't ask the listing agent for an attorney but if you were that's sound advice!
  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    10y
    Dennis VanHouten I hit post by accident. That being said what Aaron B Lee is saying about the listing agents conflict of interest is exactly right. If your going to go through the listing agent make sure your on your toes in this transaction because without your own realtor your on your own. DD is key. Keep in mind the listing agent gets all the money but you are now negotiating for the house with the agent. The listing agent will not push as hard for reductions in price as if you had a buying agent negotiating on your behalf. You will have to do that, and much more. I use the listing agent now because the training wheels are off and I want to use the advantage I get by having the realtor get both sides of the commission. In a perfect world the listing agents are legally bound to be impartial to all offers and represent the sellers best interest. But in the real world there are plenty of things an agent can do to push for a deal when they are getting both sides of the commission.
  • Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @John Hickey Thank you for the clarification.  I was looking to find a buyer's agent, as I am inexperienced in the negotiations of closing on a property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    10y

    @Dennis VanHouten

     Robert Rutson is a realtor in Orange.  PM me for his number.  

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Dennis VanHouten

    Welcome. Thanks for your service. We do free MultiFamily investing training for veterans EMAIL me for info my BP PM does NOT work check my profile. Fill in the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Paul Timmins Thank you for the advice.  I sent you an e-mail and hope to hear back from you soon.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Dennis VanHouten

    We do free MultiFamily investing training for veterans EMAIL me for info my BP PM does NOT work check my profile.

    Paul

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Good luck on the first deal @Dennis VanHouten where having a Orange County meetup tomorrow! you should come by!

  • Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed I'd like to come to the meetup, but I'll be busy most of the afternoon tomorrow.  What time is it?  If I can make it I'll try to stop by.  Or you can just give me info on the next meetup.  Thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.