License in NJ to Buy/ Sell own properties.

License in NJ to Buy/ Sell own properties.

Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 12 votes

Hi -

I am trying to get a license in NJ.

I've read it needs a 75 hour classroom course.

It doesn't sound too bad,

Before i go sign up - a few questions, appreciate your inputs very much.

1 - This is mainly to buy and sell properties for myself.

Is this the right course - Sales Person Licensure

Or do i need a Broker License.

2- Can I represent myself as Buyer's Agent for myself?

3 - Can I make an offer and buy the property that I was a Buyer's Agent for myself?

Or do I need to float a company/ LLC to differentiate me (as buyer) from me (as agent).

4 - Do I get buy side commission on this?

5 - Can I sell this property that I own now as Seller's Agent, and represent myself?

Or do I need to float a company/ LLC to differentiate me (as seller) from me (as agent).

6 - When selling, can i offer 1-2% for Buy side agents?

Lastly - when I do take the classes and pass the exam - 

1 - Can I go to Weichert and Coldwell and they'll register me with them?

Are they obligated to? Why wont they?

2 - Give me MLS access to buy and sell, and list?

Thanks.

0Reply
32 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I'm in NY but from what I understand it is quite similar. I will default to an agent from there if they override my answers though:

    Hi -

    I am trying to get a license in NJ.

    I've read it needs a 75 hour classroom course.

    It doesnt sound too bad,

    Before i go sign up - a few questions, appreciate your inputs very much.

    1 - This is basically to buy and sell own flip properties.--- Or anyone elses property

    Is this the right course - Sales Person Licensure ---- Sounds like it, they have online ones you can take.

    Or do i need a Broker License..... Nope you will hang your license with a broker, find one who is not expecting you to be a retail agent

    2- Can I represent myself as Buyer's Agent for myself?.... yes, just disclose

    3 - Can I make an offer and buy the property that I was a Buyer's Agent for myself?..... Yes assuming you mean for yourself, some recommend you have another agent represent you (and you do it for them etc)

    4 - Do I get buy side commission on this?... Yes... unless they specifically say no, then negotiate.. but disclose

    5 - Can I sell this property that I own now as Seller's Agent, and represent myself?... yes, just write a line in the listing "Seller is licensed NJ Sales Agent"

    6 - When selling, can i offer 1-2% for Buy side agents?... You could but we will hunt you down and beat you within an inch of your life.... heh JK you could but some will never show it and you may get a bad name and some agents will never take you seriously (Unless it is common in that area to see those numbers based on sales price). It is common around my area to see 2.5 on a low end and 3 as a more common number. You can offer what you want, but some agents will steer their buyers away from those.

    Lastly - when I do take the classes and pass the exam -

    1 - Can I go to Weichert and Coldwell and they'll register me with them?... Not familiar with them, but you can take the course anywhere you want.

    2 - Give MLS access to buy and sell, and list?.... If you join the board as well and not just the agent. Agent is usually around 300, board is usually around 1800 a year. You get the MLS with board not license. You can do all of the other stuff except MLS with just a license (Find the right broker though)

    Hope it helps some

    Thanks. 

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Let me play this scenario - 

    I have a salesperson license. I am selling my own property.

    1 - I list it on the MLS and offer 2.5% buyer side commission.

    Since I am the selling agent - I dont want any commission.

    How will my brokerage make money off this?

    So therefore - I assume the brokerage will require me to list any property above a certain %age commission. Is this correct?

    In that case - 

    2 - I will list say at 5%, with 2.5% buyer side commission. I will get 2.5% of the sales as seller agent commission. 

    My Brokerage will keep some x% of this 2.5% commission i made.

    How do 1 & 2 sound?

  • Real Estate Broker · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 607 votes
    9y

    James, I don't know how different NJ is from TX, but here you don't need a license to buy and sell your own properties, only to broker the sale of properties in which you don't have a financial interest. The real benefit from being licensed in that role is access to the MLS and other great analytic, research, lead gen, etc. tools.

    My brokerage allows me 3 sides per year where they take no split, but there are almost as many business models as they are brokers.    Find one that aligns w/ your business strategy.   If they're smart, they'll make a little money off you via monthly fees, min. commissions per transaction, transaction fees, etc.

    Make sure you're not paying for things you don't value.   If you don't plan on hanging out at their office, why would you want to subsidize fancy offices, furniture, etc. for those that do?   

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 170 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Chris Soignier:

    James, I don't know how different NJ is from TX, but here you don't need a license to buy and sell your own properties

     You're right Chris. 

    But without a license I dont get access to listing my property on the MLS. And that's a huge difference.

    Just when i said this - i realized - that if i found a way to put it on the MLS - i can show my own home. And I may have what I am looking for.

    I see some flat fee MLS listing services - as low as $400 - when I am actually willing to pay much more - but just not 5% !

    Has anyone tried those with success?

    I can still offload all the work to the buyer's agent - unless someone calls me directly.

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 58 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    I own a FF listing service here in Florida (FlatFeeHouses.com) and it definitely works! Make sure you pick a company that is the actual broker and not a sales agent  that will be using your leads to build their own buyers list.  We send 100% of the leads to the seller and do not compete as we do not do sales. 

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @James W.

    When selling a property you own as an agent it normally goes like this

    Agent to Broker: "Hey Joe, I'm selling my house"

    Broker to agent: "Cool"

    I can't speak for all brokerages but mine doesn't take a piece of my own property. Now if I was moving enough of my own to make a difference we may end up having a conversation.

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    "I see some flat fee MLS listing services - as low as $400 - when I am actually willing to pay much more - but just not 5% !"

    There are splits with a brokerage depending on your split it still would be no where near 5%

    Example on 100K house (3000 buy side)

    50/50 ($1500 for broker

    70/30 ($900 for broker)

    95/5 ($150 for broker)

    That is if they actually charge you for your own house. Brokers and agents are not (boss/employee like in the W-2 world)

    it does not cost you money to put a house on the MLS when you are an agent, it is part of your dues. So if you got your license I can't see any benefit of using a flat fee service unless you really want to pay someone else to do what you can do in 5 minutes yourself.

    Good Luck!

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    9y

    As Mike said, the ML is not free for agents, we pay almost $600 a year for it. The commission you pay is for alot more then just placing your house on the MLS, it pays for paperwork and time involved with the sale.

    You talk about "offloading" the paperwork to the buyers agent but if you knew anything about the process, each agent involved has specific items and paperwork they are responsible for, I dont know many agents who are going to come in and do all the listing side work for you just for their buyers side commission. 

    The discount and FISBO companies out there provide paperwork and links to "how to's" just for this purpose. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.