Votes
Lacey S.
  • Carrboro, NC
Votes |
North Carolina agents - please help me understand licensing

Lacey S.
  • Carrboro, NC
Posted Jun 28 2017, 07:26

Hello BP - specifically I hope some RE agents from NC!

I have decided to get my license next year and am doing research. I do not plan to work full-time in RE but rather I would like to be able to have MLS access and go to my own showings (on my schedule) and receive the agent commission when I buy. I will also probably be writing a lot of contracts before I get a "bite" which would irritate most agents. I also want to have a better understanding of the RE process so I can represent my own interests effectively. With this in mind....

1) In NC I am required to take a pre-licensing course and then in the next 3 years I need to take 3 post-licensing courses. Fine. Do I also need to get additional continuing education during those 3 years (the normal required 8 hours)? I cannot find this information clearly anywhere. 

2) Next, if I'm representing myself, do I need to be under a brokerage? I can see there could be some benefits like access to education. But they also might not really want me if I am not very productive. I would assume I need to be under a broker if I represent anyone else but just to represent myself, is this needed? I would avoid paying fees to them, maybe I can just pay for MLS access?

3) I have also considered that I would maybe make myself available for other agents to run their weekend open houses for say a flat $100 fee for a 3 hour open house. They could have any leads generated. Is this a thing?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Loading replies...