Want to become broker DC.Subject to section 47-2853.181 Exemption

6 Replies

I would like to become a broker in Washington, D.C. and believe that I am subject to an exemption from licensure requirements under section 47-2853.181.  I've made some calls to the city to get information on how to obtain the license, but have not had my questions answered.  Has anyone else gone this route and can advise on how to obtain the license?

Can I repost this question?  Does anyone have info?

I don’t know the exemption clause you are referring to, and likely no one else here does either, but generally.......cities/towns have nothing to do with real estate licensing, that is a state real estate commission issue.

There is no such thing as being a broker in DC without obtaining a broker license.

The code provision you cite exempts certain people from needing to obtain a license, even though they appear to be providing what may be considered brokerage services under DC law.

Thanks. I know that you need a license to be a broker. But, under the exemption, you are forgiven some of the process such as classes, being an agent for some time, and some of the field time requirements.  If anyone has this information, please let me know. Thanks.

Originally posted by @Terri Parrilla :

Thanks. I know that you need a license to be a broker. But, under the exemption, you are forgiven some of the process such as classes, being an agent for some time, and some of the field time requirements.  If anyone has this information, please let me know. Thanks.

Now you are talking sections of the code other than the .181 exemptions. Are you a DC attorney? Are you a real estate agent licensed elsewhere?

Updated 6 months ago

Point being the experience (full-time for x years) doesn't get you the broker license. The experience allows you to bypass some requirements but you still have to take certain classes and pass the broker exam.

Yes, I am an attorney barred in DC.   Thanks for your input.  I plan to be at an event tonight in Columbia where JScott will be speaking.  Let me know if you're around and we can talk more.  Thanks.  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.