Want to become broker DC.Subject to section 47-2853.181 Exemption

Want to become broker DC.Subject to section 47-2853.181 Exemption

Attorney · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 4 votes

I would like to become a broker in Washington, D.C. and believe that I am subject to an exemption from licensure requirements under section 47-2853.181.  I've made some calls to the city to get information on how to obtain the license, but have not had my questions answered.  Has anyone else gone this route and can advise on how to obtain the license?

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Tom GimerBusiness Member
DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

There is no such thing as being a broker in DC without obtaining a broker license.

The code provision you cite exempts certain people from needing to obtain a license, even though they appear to be providing what may be considered brokerage services under DC law.

Gimer Law516 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Can I repost this question?  Does anyone have info?

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    I don’t know the exemption clause you are referring to, and likely no one else here does either, but generally.......cities/towns have nothing to do with real estate licensing, that is a state real estate commission issue.
  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    There is no such thing as being a broker in DC without obtaining a broker license.

    The code provision you cite exempts certain people from needing to obtain a license, even though they appear to be providing what may be considered brokerage services under DC law.

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Attorney · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Thanks. I know that you need a license to be a broker. But, under the exemption, you are forgiven some of the process such as classes, being an agent for some time, and some of the field time requirements.  If anyone has this information, please let me know. Thanks.

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Terri Parrilla:

    Thanks. I know that you need a license to be a broker. But, under the exemption, you are forgiven some of the process such as classes, being an agent for some time, and some of the field time requirements.  If anyone has this information, please let me know. Thanks.

    Now you are talking sections of the code other than the .181 exemptions. Are you a DC attorney? Are you a real estate agent licensed elsewhere?

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Attorney · Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Yes, I am an attorney barred in DC.   Thanks for your input.  I plan to be at an event tonight in Columbia where JScott will be speaking.  Let me know if you're around and we can talk more.  Thanks.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.