Why do seasoned flippers need to pay a sellers agent today?

Why do seasoned flippers need to pay a sellers agent today?

Flipper/Rehabber · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 6 votes

I invest in Houston, Texas. After a few flips and being forced each time to pay the, lets be honest, VERY expensive brokerage fees to gain assess to the local MLS service and for preparation of a few standard (and freely available) contract forms...in addition to the warm and fuzzy feeling you get from knowing the transaction is being executed uniformly and professionally. But come on, 6%? I understand there usually is no way around paying a buyer's agent...which can be the subject of a future post. My question is, in this modern era where MLS offers so much direct information to consumers, services for flat fee MLS listings for as low as $500, why would a seasoned flipper who knows the process and needed forms pay 3, 2, or even 1% of their investment profit to a listing agent? My last project sold for almost $600,000. At 1% the listing agent would make $6,000 to put on an open house, fill out a few forms, and post the house on MLS. No offense to agents out there, but this seriously feels like a unnecessarily expensive service for most standard real estate deals. It feels like we're all trapped in an antiquated mode of "this is how its always been done so this is how we have to do it." Has technology and services moved on enough to say that the legacy fees of realtors should be amended. 6% of a transaction for the actual services provided to the seller seems to me very unfair.

On our current two flips I was going to use a flat rate $500 shop to get the listings on MLS. I would handle all calls, contracts and showings. Then a friend and fellow investor offered to represent us for the flat rate but the situation is basically the same. This will result in a net savings of $5,500-17,500...I mean, if we aren't concerned with saving that type of money, how can we call ourselves investors? Please agents don't take this as an attack. I'm concerned with value for dollars spent. To be honest, when I read posts about the importance of hiring an agent I'm reminded of Mugatu in Zoolander, "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!" Am I the only one that sees it this way?

2Reply
155 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 298 posts · 232 votes
8y
Scott Byer I think this is a great question and one worth discussing. I have never used a flat fee service but have heard good and bad about it. The same can be said for agents in the commission based system also. Quite honestly, if your seller’s agent is simply taking a few pictures with a smartphone or a cheap camera and uploading to the MLS and not much else then you need to find a different agent. I have done multiple real estate deals with a couple different agents and consider myself fortunate to have found an agent who is well worth every penny of that 6% when it comes time to sell. A great agent has costs too and often only gets half of that 6%. My agent does several things which make him stand out. He hires a professional photographer who understands how to shoot houses for maximum effect. He pays to advertise on multiple listing platforms. He does more research than competing agents to gain a better understanding of true market value. Lastly, he is extremely honest. As a result, if you take his advice, you will often sell quickly at top dollar. One major advantage I see of a commission based system over a flat fee is incentive. You want a property to have the maximum exposure and you want agents to WANT to show your property. Agents often spend a significant amount of time with potential buyers before the buyers make a commitment. I have talked to agents who have showed buyers 40-100+ houses before they bought. $500 might buy you a professional photo shoot and a little advertising but it won’t get you anything else. If agents won’t show your property then what good does it do you? Do you think a buyer is really going to protest too loudly when they discover that buying your flat fee property might potentially cost them thousands more in representation than a similar commission based property? Also, agents often carry insurance to protect against errors and omissions. Do you want the liability of a mistake you make on a contract coming back to you in court? I’m not saying that there isn’t a time and place for saving on realtor’s fees but remember, time is money. Is it worth potentially paying extra in holding costs to save on commissions?
See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    8y

    The weak brokers and agents might be thinned from the herds with some automation but that can be said about ANY BUSINESS in the world.

    The top 20% in any field are in demand and tend to have the highest incomes. As some things automate the weaker industry professionals providing little value can be pushed out.

    The key with that is to not be average and make yourself valuable.

    The ones making 40k,50k a year will look around and go (What happened?). That is because being mediocre is accepted by the masses. The ones that want to be the best strive for it everyday. They take every angle and edge they can get to just get 1% better. Pretty soon the gap widens and widens to where they are far and above the rest. There will always be competition everywhere. That is for investors buying properties or brokers/agents wanting to complete transactions.

    Everyone says they want success but so few will do what it takes to get there. They just try to cheat the system, skip steps,etc.   

    People can keep saying the sky is falling and real estate is changing forever. Meanwhile my friends and I will keep having record year after year of sales.

  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 725 posts · 129 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Marian Smith:

    @James WiseTo offer flat fee or discount brokerage services on the MLS one must subscribe to the MLS, and as such would be counted by Inman as having used a real estate agent.

    That is correct, Marian - while NAR statistics show that FSBO is at an all time low (which I believe), what they don't show is that many FSBOs have simply transitioned to using a flat fee listing, which is technically "For Sale By Agent".

    @Scott Byer $500 seems to be a lot for a flat fee listing - we do these for $95 in California (just FYI, might want to price shop a bit).

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    8y

    @Jonathan Minerick The $500 mls deal includes use of a yard sign with the realty name and one of those electronic key boxes everyone uses delivered to you.  $95 is a great deal for inclusion on the mls.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    The direct entry company I used was $449 for 6 months, 30 photos, full length description, but not much more services (I have my own sign and lockbox). I'm sure I could have price matched but they came recommended and the one hiccup I had they fixed it after hours!

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    $99 for 6 months in the MLS is available in all of the major MLS systems in Texas

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.