Light at the end of the tunnel - License exam

Light at the end of the tunnel - License exam

North Beach, MD · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes

Hey there, 

I have been a member of bigger pockets for some time now and been listening to the podcasts for a few years. I am a career firefighter in Maryland, and decided to go get my RE license online through theceshop.com to sell some houses, learn the insides of real estate laws and transactions and invest at my own pace. I am about 75% of the way through the class... 

My question is .. what are some good tools/websites/resources to help you prepare for the actual exam? My concern is how DRY this class is and how much information is thrown at you. I would not recommend taking this online, but its too late and I have too much time in to consider changing classes. I consider myself a smart guy, and I want to nail the exam on the first try, and more importantly, make sure I know what I need to know to be prepared as an agent. Any help would be appreciated! 

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y

I forget if it is PSI or Pearson Vue that gives the Maryland exam...but whichever it is...you can buy practice exams from them to take.  Id suggest getting a couple of those to see how you do.  

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y

    I forget if it is PSI or Pearson Vue that gives the Maryland exam...but whichever it is...you can buy practice exams from them to take.  Id suggest getting a couple of those to see how you do.  

  • Specialist · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    As a former fire chief let me congratulate you in advance of your getting your license Thereare many firefighters in Maryland and elsewhere tearing it up in any number areas of real estate Shift work can be a real advantage in having a support system while you build your book of business Not to mention the built in network of trades folks who are also in public safety FYI PSI does the licensing test in Maryland... I took it last fall The National portion was pretty straightforward however the Maryland portions are very heavy on strangely worded Ethics questions Russell Brazil's advice to pay for and do the PSI practice tests is outstanding advice as thepractice tests really helped me Best of luck
  • North Beach, MD · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Thank you both for the help. I’ve been a career firefighter/paramedic for 10 years with Prince George’s County. My schedule allows me a lot of time off, and I am excited to get this started. Real estate is something that has interested me for a long time, I wish I would have taken this step sooner. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Annapolis, MD · Member since 2017 · 109 posts · 82 votes
    8y

    Hey @Terry McAllister, I feel your pain, I went the online route because it was more flexible. I managed to do it in 3 weeks. Then I starting wondering the same thing as you, about getting exam-ready. I didn't buy anything else, I felt this class should be enough and for me, it was. As you go along, identify the questions that caused you difficulty, then re-test those sections at the end. 

    I asked the lady who administered the class test and she told me I logged 52 hours on this thing. She said on average people who come to test spend 80 hours on it.

    (on the second pass of the easy sections, like math in my case, I wrote down the answers when I got them right easily on the first go around. Helped shave some of the time off...)

    It all depends on your comfort level. But redoing the same test questions over and over should suffice.

    Good luck -- you're almost there!

  • Hayward, CA · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 40 votes
    8y
    I just googled all the different sites that offer sample exams. Most charge for the whole thing, but I would just take the 50 or so freebie questions and move on to the next site.
  • Involved In Real Estate · Upper Marlboro, MD · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 230 votes
    8y
    Terry, congrats on getting this far. Doing it 100% on line is tough. We have a school in Upper Marlboro. If you’d like some tutoring prep with a certified instructor, please let me know. We can probably work something out that fits your budget.
  • Beltsville, MD · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Sherman Ragland Hello Sherman, do you still have a school that offers classes?

  • Involved In Real Estate · Upper Marlboro, MD · Member since 2014 · 246 posts · 230 votes
    7y

    @Calvin Williams yes we do. Nothing scheduled during the summer, but you can reach out to Lisa and she’ll let you know what’s planned for Fall.  http://www.NeedHelpAskLisa.com

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.