Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 3 votes
I’m a realtor and I have a few clients that are looking for investment properties....I’ve recently talked to a wholesaler, but he specifically said that he doesn’t pay for buyer agents, if you want the deal, you have to negotiate for your commission with your buyer!
Is this common?
How much commission should I negotiate with my buyer?
I’m newbie, that’s why!;) thanks for all your help in advance 😘😘
Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
@Loan Tran, This is one reason why many agents hate working with investors.
Most agents are familiar working with buyers buying their forever home. So, they know they will be buying a decent home at a decent price and they will get a cut of a healthy commission.
With investors, they want lots of detailed info, market analyses, contractor referrals, making lowball offers, etc. A lot more work and many times they are buying distressed properties with minimum commissions.
I have seen where an agent who specializes in working with investors, negotiates a minimum commission with their buyer. So, that if that buyer buys a property where the commission is less than that minimum the buyer is responsible for the difference. If it were me, I might set a $1500-2000 minimum commission knowing that will get split with my broker.
I would present this to a buyer in the context of the extra work involved in working with investors etc. If they value your effort they will be willing to pay.
@Loan Tran, This is one reason why many agents hate working with investors.
Most agents are familiar working with buyers buying their forever home. So, they know they will be buying a decent home at a decent price and they will get a cut of a healthy commission.
With investors, they want lots of detailed info, market analyses, contractor referrals, making lowball offers, etc. A lot more work and many times they are buying distressed properties with minimum commissions.
I have seen where an agent who specializes in working with investors, negotiates a minimum commission with their buyer. So, that if that buyer buys a property where the commission is less than that minimum the buyer is responsible for the difference. If it were me, I might set a $1500-2000 minimum commission knowing that will get split with my broker.
I would present this to a buyer in the context of the extra work involved in working with investors etc. If they value your effort they will be willing to pay.
Interesting idea. I imagine most purchases would give you that minimum amount anyhow.
Same as a FSBO, if the seller is not willing to pay for a buyers agent commission then you have to let your buyers know "I located a place that fits the criteria but you would be responsible for the commissions if you purchase it". I don't stop matching people to properties, just might have to adjust where the money comes from. Your buyer can still adjust their price to what fits for them.
Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
7y
Buyer pays realtor? Most don't realize this, but the answer is YES, ALWAYS. Commissions are built into the price. Proceeds from the buyer's purchase pays the agents.
So just build your comp into the price. Example-- wholesaler price is $100k including their fee. Tell your buyer the price is $103,000 If you seek a $3k commission.
$3k may be too low. Now you have 3 parties to monitor plus a unique contract with a wholesaler that may or may not be selling a legit deal and most likely wanting a non-refundable deposit and to close all cash within days. As a fiduciary, you are on the hook if it doesn't work out.
Only the very experienced should broker or deal at all with wholesalers. Buy it yourself or don't do it is my advice.
Investor · Argyle, TX · Member since 2014 · 112 posts · 73 votes
7y
This is common. I have helped a few investor clients purchase wholesale deals, and we always have to add my commission on top of the price. Most of my investor clients are repeat buyers, so I don't charge them the normal 3% realtor commission. It's up to you on how much commission you negotiate. For me it depends on how much business I expect from them and how many properties we have to view per deal.
Investor · Canton, GA · Member since 2014 · 727 posts · 500 votes
7y
@Loan Tran
IMHO it has more to do with the property being offered by a wholesaler than anything to do with working with an investor. Standard verbiage from any wholesaler. If it is listed on an MLS works the same as it usually does, regardless of anyone being an "investor".
As others mentioned, approach these just like a FSBO.
Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2019 · 84 posts · 149 votes
7y
@Steve Vaughan Oh boy, as an agent you certainly cannot tell your buyer the price is $103k if the price is actually $100k just so you can get a $3k commission. You can tell them the price is $100k and that you will charge a $3k commission, however. Might not seem like a big difference but if you value your real estate license it's definitely a big difference.
Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
As long as you are up front about your buyer paying their side of the commission, most experienced investors won't have a problem with it as long as the numbers still work for them. Just make sure you are explaining that if the seller is not willing to pay the commission then it will be factored into the total acquisition cost to the buyer. Some people will set a minimum dollar amount so you aren't moving really low price point properties and not making a profit.
Real Estate Broker · Tyler, TX · Member since 2018 · 193 posts · 143 votes
7y
@Loan Tran our commissions are paid by the seller, but it’s built into the sales price...the buyer is the one that pays it...explain that to your client and they shouldn’t have a problem paying you for you time, knowledge and protection.
It’s never a hard sell when you actually explain it, although it sounds like it would be.