Agents and Low ball offers

Agents and Low ball offers

Rehabber · Mount Holly, NJ · Member since 2012 · 50 posts · 1 vote

Hello all. Newbie Here!

I am looking at a property that I would definitely like to make an offer on. From what I have supposedly heard from the agent, the seller is extremely stiff on the price. The house is listed at $53,000 and my realtor said that the seller was offered a $50,000 cash offer a couple months ago and would not take it and that the seller wants full asking price. Then my realtor said that the seller is finally starting to come around and is willing to accept $50,000.
The only reserves that I have is there is a cracked soil line near the kitchen and possibly cracked under the base of the house through the concrete that leads to the street. For that reason, and with all the other repairs, we want to put in an offer of $40,000. However, my realtor says that the seller is an investor, lives in Indonesia, and has no attachment to this house, and for that reason he does want the full $50,000.
Either way, my realtor pretty much will not put in my offer which is extremely frustrating. Can someone please explain why my realtor won't put in my offer? It's very frustrating.

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
14y

I'm unclear on which agent is which. You mention "the agent" and then "your realtor". Does your realtor have this listing? If not, why not make your offer directly to the listing agent on this one? I'm not a fan of dual agency, but for a low valued prop and such a small commission, it makes more sense to go direct, IMO.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    A few months ago I got a call from a seller that had gotten a letter from me. She had listed her house at $56K, it has been a month and she hadn't gotten any offers. I told her I couldn't make an offer that would even come close. She said she understood but pleaded with me to submit an offer to her agent. I called the agent and tell her the client told me to make an offer and ask her to write it for $28K. She says it's too low and I say know but the seller asked for it. She writes the offer, I sign it and send it back, and she doesn't get back to me. Two weeks later I call the seller letting them know I did submit an offer and hadn't heard back. The agent hadn't submitted the offer to them. They call her and get her to send them the offer, and they counter with $35K.

    It would be very difficult for an agent to know the motivations and bottom lines for all their sellers. Sellers needs and ideas about value are changing every day. Get yourself a buyer's agent that will work for you.

    BTW, I agree with J Scott. $40K on a $55K fixer isn't really a low ball offer.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 191 posts · 47 votes
    14y

    I agree with J Scott. 25% off isn't a low-ball offer in this market.

    I like to make low offers and keep submitting them even after they are rejected. I try to watch properties until they actually close with another buyer. You never know when a seller will come back ready to accept your "low-ball" offer.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by K. Marie Poe:
    A few months ago I got a call from a seller that had gotten a letter from me. She had listed her house at $56K, it has been a month and she hadn't gotten any offers. I told her I couldn't make an offer that would even come close. She said she understood but pleaded with me to submit an offer to her agent. I called the agent and tell her the client told me to make an offer and ask her to write it for $28K. She says it's too low and I say know but the seller asked for it. She writes the offer, I sign it and send it back, and she doesn't get back to me. Two weeks later I call the seller letting them know I did submit an offer and hadn't heard back. The agent hadn't submitted the offer to them. They call her and get her to send them the offer, and they counter with $35K.

    It would be very difficult for an agent to know the motivations and bottom lines for all their sellers. Sellers needs and ideas about value are changing every day. Get yourself a buyer's agent that will work for you.

    BTW, I agree with J Scott. $40K on a $55K fixer isn't really a low ball offer.

    In ohio at least that agent would be FRIED. Not presenting an offer? wow.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2010 · 812 posts · 178 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by McKellar Newsom:
    I agree with J Scott. 25% off isn't a low-ball offer in this market.

    I like to make low offers and keep submitting them even after they are rejected. I try to watch properties until they actually close with another buyer. You never know when a seller will come back ready to accept your "low-ball" offer.

    I do that all the time. Other agents in the city get pissed at me but who cares.

  • Real Estate Broker · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2010 · 42 posts · 24 votes
    14y

    Amber: I agree with many of the comments here. Like Joe I submit low offers all the time for clients, especially investor clients. If I know a client is a serious investor then I will go along. If they are a fool that is not respectful of my time I won't work with them. I have seen too many smart investors offer a low amount and have it accepted. Find another agent.

  • Real Estate Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2012 · 39 posts · 9 votes
    13y

    @Richard Martin - Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm curious about how you differentiate in your own mind between the "serious investors" and the "fools". I have been making some low offers lately and my realtor is not crazy about it but so far has been playing along. I'm hoping she doesn't feel that I'm a waste of time because I know exactly what I'm after and will close when I find the right deal. But so far none of my offers have even received a response so I have to wonder what she's thinking...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.