Do Realtors ever hire assistants for their team as W2 employees?

Do Realtors ever hire assistants for their team as W2 employees?

Investor · Sachse, TX · Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 9 votes

Hi there! I was going to start investing this year and then got laid off due to COVID, so I don't have the income to qualify for a loan even though I've got a down payment saved up. I need to get a new job, but I'm hoping to get one related to real estate investing to deepen my knowledge, but I'm not sure working as a full realtor is the best plan. If I could ask for some guidance, that would be amazing!

Who do Realtors hire for their team?

How do you look for those positions? Indeed?

Are these positions usually commission based like Realtors, or are there W2 jobs as well?

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

Hi @Kat Hussey,  agents will usually hire transaction coordinators, general assistants, and marketing specialists for their teams.  You'll find the vast majority of agents are hiring as 1099 contractors but it is possible to hire any of these positions as a W2 employee.  

The best team-members for a savvy real estate agent usually come through networking and referrals -- when someone connects me with a person because they thought "oh, you would be perfect for this role Will was telling me about last week" then there is a much higher chance good things are coming, compared with a craigslist hire.

I'd recommend getting really deep and nerdy here on BP and doing as much networking as possible in the DFW area and seeing if you can add tremendous value to any of the local real estate agents or brokers.  That's a winning strategy.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Hi @Kat Hussey,  agents will usually hire transaction coordinators, general assistants, and marketing specialists for their teams.  You'll find the vast majority of agents are hiring as 1099 contractors but it is possible to hire any of these positions as a W2 employee.  

    The best team-members for a savvy real estate agent usually come through networking and referrals -- when someone connects me with a person because they thought "oh, you would be perfect for this role Will was telling me about last week" then there is a much higher chance good things are coming, compared with a craigslist hire.

    I'd recommend getting really deep and nerdy here on BP and doing as much networking as possible in the DFW area and seeing if you can add tremendous value to any of the local real estate agents or brokers.  That's a winning strategy.

  • Investor · Sachse, TX · Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Will Fraser

    Thank you for the advice on networking. I've got a family friend who is a realtor, so I'll start there.

    But, How does one network over bigger pockets without meeting people?

  • Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Kat Hussey I'd recommend the Gary Vee approach . . . add value to everyone you meet, digital or in the flesh, and you'll build an amazing network!

  • Investor · Sachse, TX · Member since 2020 · 63 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Will Fraser

    I really appreciate all your help, Will. What are some things I can do to add value for a realty team?

  • Real Estate Broker · Salt Lake City & Oklahoma City · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    It's my pleasure, Kat!  I'm here to add value :) 

    Think back to interactions you've had in the real estate process (either purchasing a home, selling a home, or leasing a home) . . . what were some of the things in the process that seemed really labor intensive for the agent?  What were some things you saw stress them out or demand a lot of their time urgently?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.