I want to become a Transaction Coordinator in California

I want to become a Transaction Coordinator in California

Penngrove, CA · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes

Hey BP,

I am currently waiting to schedule my license exam and plan to start part-time as a transaction coordinator while maintaining my full-time job, for now.

I have looked into the Transaction Coordinator Certification programs through the CAR, but I have some questions.

Does a TC need to be sponsored by a broker?

Is the certification worth the time and money?

Is freelance a feasible way of starting out as a TC?

Thanks for any and all advice!

1Reply
129 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 214 votes
5y

@Sarah Shada Hi Sarah, great questions! In terms of sponsorship, do you mean whether or not you have to hang a license under the broker? If that's the case, it's my understanding that you don't have to. I've worked with three different transaction coordinators and none of them had a license. In terms of the course, I've not read up on it. However, the quality of a transaction coordinator, in my humble opinion, comes down to the person. A broker/sales agent will be looking for someone that is going to stay on long-term, learns quickly, and is independent. In my experience, a person with these traits generally does very well. 

As for freelance, my gut feeling tells me that the type of agent looking to hire a TC is a consistent producer, and consistent producers probably wouldn't want to share their TC with other agents. However, I could certainly be wrong. Just something to consider!

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 214 votes
    5y

    @Sarah Shada Hi Sarah, great questions! In terms of sponsorship, do you mean whether or not you have to hang a license under the broker? If that's the case, it's my understanding that you don't have to. I've worked with three different transaction coordinators and none of them had a license. In terms of the course, I've not read up on it. However, the quality of a transaction coordinator, in my humble opinion, comes down to the person. A broker/sales agent will be looking for someone that is going to stay on long-term, learns quickly, and is independent. In my experience, a person with these traits generally does very well. 

    As for freelance, my gut feeling tells me that the type of agent looking to hire a TC is a consistent producer, and consistent producers probably wouldn't want to share their TC with other agents. However, I could certainly be wrong. Just something to consider!

  • Penngrove, CA · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    5y
  • Penngrove, CA · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Thanks @Kenneth Reimer

    Interesting to hear that none of your TCs had a license. I know it is not required, perhaps I made assumptions it was preferred. I am wondering the best way to get started without much prior experience and hope a certification might help me do that.

    It does make sense that agents and brokers would prefer to stick with TCs that have proven their worth.

    Thanks again for your response!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    5y

    EXCELLENT way to enter the industry.. get paid to learn.. My wife has a killer TC and based on what I know I she does very very well financially without ever leaving her home computer..  My wife pays 400.oo per transaction.. and she does about 20 to 30 a year so just one agent is bringing her in 8 to 12k.. you get 10 to 20 agents and it can pay very well.  Wendy is her name and she is as stated VERY good.. My wife delegates a lot of things to her and they get done !! and done professionally and correctly.   And PS we just sold our property right up the road from you in Rohnert Park we had 4 acres across from the Graton Casino I bought in the mid 90s  LOL

  • Penngrove, CA · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Hi @Jay Hinrichs, 

    May I ask how your wife found Wendy? Was she the first TC she worked with? 


    Congrats on that sale in Rohnert Park. Sounds like we were neighbors! 

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Hey Sarah, certification is not worth the time and money, in my opinion. Here's a video I made about becoming a T.C and there is also an E-book that you can purchase called The T.C Blueprint that can teach out everything about T.C from A-Z. 

    ;t=24s
  • Specialist · Chicago · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    Hi! CEO of a TC company here!

    It's a fantastic industry and more and more agents are looking to hire TC's. It''s a huge time savings for agents (we see about ~15-20 hours per agent per transaction) so as soon as an agent gets to see the world once they have a TC...they rarely want to go back!

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi Sarah,

    Hope all is well. I'm just starting out a TC business. I was wondering if you ended up taking a course, if so, which course? How is your business doing so far? Any and all information would be appreciated! 

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    Hi Sara 

    Where are you getting your license? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.