Skip to content
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Agents with a niche, what do you share and when?

James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Posted Feb 12 2021, 12:38

So ... I've got a gripe and a question for you agents specializing in a particular area of real estate.

The short story/direct question
If you're an agent with niche knowledge that sets you apart from other agents, how much of that knowledge do you share during an intake call? When do you withhold it?

The long story
We are kind of the Airbnb real estate agents in Denver and Colorado Springs. We work with all kinds of buyers in these markets, but a differentiating factor for us is our intimate knowledge around short-term rental laws and ADU zoning. (I'm sure there are agents who specialize in off-market deals, or flipping, or distinct neighborhoods, or student house, or house hacking or whatever.)

We produce a lot of free content on our subject matter expertise. Videos, blog posts, BP forum posts, online classes, etc. So I can understand why many people would call us for information and expect us to tell them everything. When people call, we try to guide them in general terms, but we do retain the detailed information for clients who choose to work with us under contract.

I wasn't always this guarded. A few years ago, I would share everything I knew with whoever called. Most of those people turned into clients, but a select few -- I would later find out -- end up using the knowledge we provide to buy an Airbnb investment with an agent who would cut their commission. 

Now we share less until we have a contract with the buyer. We've spent countless hours researching these topics to differentiate ourselves in the eyes of potential clients. Because that is how we make a living. We don't get paid for opening doors. We get paid for the knowledge that we have. So I chafe when a caller seems put out by the fact that I ask them if they're working with another agent. When they say yes, and I tell them I won't share everything, some people -- thought not a majority -- will imply that I am somehow rude or selfish.

I used to feel bad about this. Now I don't. You wouldn't go into a stock broker's office, tell them you're using a different stock broker and then expect them to share their expertise. Same with a lawyer. Again, their knowledge is why they get paid. Same here. 

What do other agents think? How do you balance putting out content to highlight your knowledge base without not giving away the cake for free?

Loading replies...