Financing a home I’m buying from my parents

Financing a home I’m buying from my parents

Investor · FL · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 3 votes

Hey y’all 

I wanted to get y’all’s advice with a deal I am currently working on. 
I am in current talks with my parents to buy their home. They are currently renting it out. They still have a balance on the mortgage. About 6 years left. 
To my understanding I do not need a realtor to process the transaction. I do plan on using conventional loan so I will need to do my due diligence with inspection for the loan and get my pre approval(submitting all the paper work right now). Based on my calculations I will be able to afford getting the property plus it has a active lease from the renters that has been there for over a year already. So I see no reason why the bank won’t be willing to finance my deal.


The plan is to buy the home at the cost of whatever the evaluation of the inspection is at. My parents want to gift me the 20% down that I will technically need to give to fulfill the down payment of the loan. 
I have watched a few YouTube videos about doing this but I wanted to get y’all’s feedback and advice. Or if someone has a article/podcast/book as a suggestion. Thanks in advance y’all are the best 

0Reply
28 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Provo, UT · Member since 2020 · 374 posts · 270 votes
    4y

    As mentioned, you won't need a realtor for this transaction. If you aren't comfortable with the paperwork, I know that some agents (maybe title companies as well) will take care of the paperwork for a couple of hundred dollars.

    I don't know if lending requirements are different in Texas, but you don't need an inspection. Inspections are only helpful when trying to understand the condition of the property and how much in repairs you might have to pay. (I would skip an inspection, and save on cost as it sounds like you are getting a pretty sweet deal from your parents gifting you the downpayment and selling it to you for appraisal value).

    The only potential issue with financing your deal is your DTI. I'm not sure if you have any other debts, but from my perspective I don't see you running into any issues except for potentially that one.

  • Lender · Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA · Member since 2021 · 583 posts · 338 votes
    4y

    Hi @Javier Moreno - it's unclear to me whether you are planning to occupy the property or continue to rent it out. This will impact your financing and how you are qualified for the loan. If you plan to occupy the property then you will not be able to use the rental income to help you qualify. If you plan to keep the property as an investment then you will not be able to use a gift from your parents for the upfront costs. Feel free to reach out if you want to talk through this in further detail! 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Why don't you go the seller financing route? Can make your own terms and don't have to put as much cash down 

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    When I bought a home from my dad, we just put my name on the title, waited 6 months, did a HELOC to pay him out, and took him off the deed. Didn't have to worry about down payments or gifts or anything, and definitely didn't need a realtor. It was also a rental property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.