Is it possible for individual to purchase mortgage backed securities directly ?

Is it possible for individual to purchase mortgage backed securities directly ?

Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Hi, this question is specific to lender. I am curious if possible for individual to buy Fannie Mae MBS product directly that's being recently issued (the one with mortgage rate of 6%) ?

For example: I want to buy FNCL 6 12/23 ; or  CUSIP 01F0606C4.

 I dont want to buy from ETF/mutual fund that's holding the securities.
I know I can buy from MBB but they have the low rate one as well. 

0Reply
28 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:

    Hi, this question is specific to lender. I am curious if possible for individual to buy Fannie Mae MBS product directly that's being recently issued (the one with mortgage rate of 6%) ?

    For example: I want to buy FNCL 6 12/23 ; or  CUSIP 01F0606C4.

     I dont want to buy from ETF/mutual fund that's holding the securities.
    I know I can buy from MBB but they have the low rate one as well. 


     great question - following. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    You can.  Go onto the brokerage company of your choice and research it will be under bonds for agency debt.  Not all brokerage companies carry all the cusips in their inventory but you should be able to find something similar.  If this is something you are interested in I would suggest giving the company a call and speaking with their fixed income desk, they will be able to provide you with some education to answer your questions and can probably point you to some resources.  Depending on the firm you can buy both new issues and buy on the secondary market but keep in mind minimums often apply and it can be expensive to buy enough to get the best price.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.