Credit / FICO Score - How to quickly improve significantly

Credit / FICO Score - How to quickly improve significantly

Rental Property Investor · Westport, CT · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 183 votes

Here's a little tidbit I noticed a few years ago that I thought I would share.  I'm giving a reverse example, as in I will show how my credit score dropped 59 points in one month because I forgot to do my "trick".

The trick is to pay off your entire balance the day of your "statement closing date".  Many think that paying off their entire statement balance every month is the best you can do, this is not the case.  You want to have a statement balance at zero or as low as you can get it.  At least try to have all credit cards below 20% of the their individual limit.

The first image shows the drop of 59 points and the second shows the reason, I forgot to pay down one of my Citicards before the statement closing date.  Even though I paid off this $19,000 balance in full, the fact that I had a statement balance at all killed my score.  

Next month I'll show you the updated score with my balance paid off, it should shoot right back up again.

You don't need to do this all the time, but I make sure to do it for the three months before I take out a loan.

Image 1

Image 2

0Reply
21 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Tooele, Salt Lake City UT · Member since 2020 · 136 posts · 54 votes
    1y

    Good info! I always tell my clients to put a reminder on their phone to go off monthly to ensure they pay off all debts like this that can cause them to have higher credit scores. 

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Why is this better than just paying off your entire balance before the statement closing date? Is there a difference?

  • Rental Property Investor · Westport, CT · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 183 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Zach Edelman:

    Why is this better than just paying off your entire balance before the statement closing date? Is there a difference?

    That's exactly what I'm saying, pay off your entire balance before the statement closes (option 1), not on the actual payment due date (option 2)

                                                                  Option 1               Option 2

    Prior statement balance on Nov 1             $0               $5,000

    New charge on Nov 5                         $10,000             $10,000

    Paid on due date Nov 10                             $0              -$5,000

    Paid on closing date Nov 30             -$10,000                      $0

    Statement Balance on Nov 30                    $0              $10,000

    The ultimate goal is not to pay off your statement balance in full each month.  Your goal is to have a statement balance of $0 every month.  Credit agencies ding you for having a statement balance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.