FHA on multi family

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    Is it possible get a FHA Loan on a multi family? Specifically a duplex or triplex?

  • Miller McSwainPro Member
    Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 261 posts · 233 votes
    5y

    Yes! Properties that are 4 units or less (single family, duplex, triplex, quads) are able to be financed with an FHA loan.

    For more details on financing options, check out Brandon Turner's "The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down".

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Absolutely. Anything 4 units and under is considered residential and therefore is a fit for FHA financing. It is a very common financing method for people looking to "house hack" a multi family.

  • Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 140 votes
    5y

    Everyone is correct, up to 4 units. Is there a reason you would like to go with an FHA loan?

  • Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @David Kelly we are looking to buy our first property and assessing our options -one thought is to "house- hack" and live in one unit while renting the other units to pay the mortgage until we had 20% equity to refinance and get rid of the mortgage insurance. Our biggest barrier to entry is the highly priced CA housing market. Any suggestions or advice to this plan, or concerns besides mortgage insurance with FHA?

  • Rental Property Investor · Scranton, PA · Member since 2020 · 44 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Shant Ohan I have an fha on a duplex. The CoC return was excellent. PMI insurance is usually .85% . A little more hoops to jump through and longer closing time but a good option to break in. I've been able to save money so much faster now. I also rented a room out on the side I live in.

  • Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2019 · 391 posts · 140 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Shant Ohan:

    @David Kelly we are looking to buy our first property and assessing our options -one thought is to "house- hack" and live in one unit while renting the other units to pay the mortgage until we had 20% equity to refinance and get rid of the mortgage insurance. Our biggest barrier to entry is the highly priced CA housing market. Any suggestions or advice to this plan, or concerns besides mortgage insurance with FHA?

    There is unfortunately no way around Down payment unless you are a Veteran, or can find some sort of USDA property out of the city limits.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 27 votes
    5y

    I am actively trying to get FHA financing on a fourplex. I have excellent credit and W2 and had 11 banks and brokers tell me I HAD to put 20-25% on a fourplex. when I asked why and they said that's what they require or some variation of the following. Yes, I'm still looking.

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nneka I.:

    I am actively trying to get FHA financing on a fourplex. I have excellent credit and W2 and had 11 banks and brokers tell me I HAD to put 20-25% on a fourplex. when I asked why and they said that's what they require or some variation of the following. Yes, I'm still looking.

    Nneka- Did you get the FHA?

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 27 votes
    5y

    I am actively trying to get FHA financing on a fourplex. I have excellent credit and W2 and had 11 banks and brokers tell me I HAD to put 20-25% on a fourplex. when I asked why and they said that's what they require or some variation of the following. Yes, I'm still looking.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 27 votes
    5y

    No, Not yet. Still active and looking 

  • Harjeet BhattiPro Member
    Lender · Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554 · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 747 votes
    5y

    @Nneka I. You can use FHA and Home Possible both programs for 2-4 units.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.