Contractor Questions maybe I can help

Contractor Questions maybe I can help

Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes

I am a General Contractor in the Pittsburgh, PA area, I am NOT looking for work.

I wanted to try to add something useful to the site since it offers me so much so... if you are in need of a Contractor's opinion feel free to reach out and I will do my best to help! I've been in business for 16+ years so hopefully my knowledge can help!

7Reply
95 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Why are contractors notorious for ghosting their projects  


Most Contractors are not crooks...what happens is that they are really poor business managers. They will underbid a project, and then have to take on another one to help share the costs for the first one. And then a 3rd and 4th. Soon they are overwhelmed and do not know how to get out, so they run like this until they run out of work. Then they swear to change their ways and never do this again. 

Of course they underbid their next job because now they are desperate to make money. And there they go again....

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Aaron RayPro Member
    Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    I'll have to keep this in mind on my next project!  I could always use some help with cost estimates and recommendations on what to do or how to do something.

  • Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    @Aaron Ray

    I'd be happy to help! Just trying to give back!

  • Cliff BennerBusiness Member
    Accountant · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 392 posts · 183 votes
    3y

    What is your recommendation for a Scope of Work and laying that out to a Contractor? 

    Would setting up an Excel sheet with each step and ask what the cost for that line item would be?
    Is there a template commonly used for this?

    Benner Stride52 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Cliff Benner:

    What is your recommendation for a Scope of Work and laying that out to a Contractor? 

    Would setting up an Excel sheet with each step and ask what the cost for that line item would be?
    Is there a template commonly used for this?


    I'll help here, too. You cannot create a SOW as the customer. It must be a cooperative process that includes the Contractor. Because the investor does not know much/anything about construction, all they can do is say "I want a new kitchen', or 'Can you build me a 2nd story'. Then the GC will create a SOW based on that and what the engineer and architect put down on paper.

    Every project will have a specific SOW that falls within the entire construction industry set....

  • Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2018 · 150 posts · 27 votes
    3y

    Hi Thanks for doing this. I would love a line item spreadsheet of common repairs and materials 

  • Member since 2019 · 104 posts · 35 votes
    3y

    Thanks for doing this!  

    what are the most common errors customers make working with GC?  

    What have you found most helpful from the customer side to smooth running projects.

  • Member since 2022 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Hi there, @Brian Versetti! Would you know if a property should be demo'ed completely just by seeing pictures or would you need to see it in person? 

  • Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Jen Ikuta Hi Jen, I could give you an educated thought on it with some pictures and probably asking you a few questions. Feel free to send as many pictures as you would like to give me as much to go on as possible and I will try to help.

  • Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    To all that have replied to my offer for help, I sincerely apologize for my lack of replies, I have not been getting notified of any replies from you guys. I will sit down this evening and attempt to answer the inquiries for you. Again my apologies!

  • Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Wendy Man

    The most common mistakes that I have personally heard of from customers who have tried others before me are not getting a complete contract with scope of work, giving too much money to their contractor up-front and not giving a clear deadline for the completed project.

    Here in PA the contractor has to have a contractors license number, give a clear and precise scope of work, take no more than a third down, and provide an estimated completion date. I'm not sure how it is in other states but if you use this as a guideline it should help! I hope this was helpful and if you have more questions please let me know.

  • Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Khari F.

    Unfortunately I think that the list you are asking for is a bit too comprehensive to simply type up. For example common repairs for a flip? A rental? Multifamily building? I will be happy to try to help, but I'm not sure where to start without more info. Also materials for each repair can very much vary depending on cause of that specific problem, for example a toilet not working could be a shut off valve, a bad flushing valve, a bad seal, etc...

  • Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Bruce Woodruff Awesome of you to jump in to help as well!

  • Member since 2019 · 104 posts · 35 votes
    3y

    @Brian Versetti Thank you!

  • Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Wendy Man Happy to help

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brian Versetti:

    @Bruce Woodruff Awesome of you to jump in to help as well!


     Yessir, happy to help. Your knowledge is needed on here....

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Why are contractors notorious for ghosting their projects  

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:

    Why are contractors notorious for ghosting their projects  


    Most Contractors are not crooks...what happens is that they are really poor business managers. They will underbid a project, and then have to take on another one to help share the costs for the first one. And then a 3rd and 4th. Soon they are overwhelmed and do not know how to get out, so they run like this until they run out of work. Then they swear to change their ways and never do this again. 

    Of course they underbid their next job because now they are desperate to make money. And there they go again....

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:

    Why are contractors notorious for ghosting their projects  


    Most Contractors are not crooks...what happens is that they are really poor business managers. They will underbid a project, and then have to take on another one to help share the costs for the first one. And then a 3rd and 4th. Soon they are overwhelmed and do not know how to get out, so they run like this until they run out of work. Then they swear to change their ways and never do this again. 

    Of course they underbid their next job because now they are desperate to make money. And there they go again....


     What's a good way to avoid this as an investor 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Eliott Elias:

    Why are contractors notorious for ghosting their projects  


    Most Contractors are not crooks...what happens is that they are really poor business managers. They will underbid a project, and then have to take on another one to help share the costs for the first one. And then a 3rd and 4th. Soon they are overwhelmed and do not know how to get out, so they run like this until they run out of work. Then they swear to change their ways and never do this again. 

    Of course they underbid their next job because now they are desperate to make money. And there they go again....


     What's a good way to avoid this as an investor 


    First, do not try to get your Contractor to give you a cheap budget. Insist on paying full value for the work you are getting. And let them know up front that this is a concern and ask what can you do to prevent this from happening? How much will it cost you to keep them on your project all day every day?

  • Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Eliott Elias

    I find from the customers that I've spoken to that it is either a contractor who tends to over promise and under deliver which as Bruce mentioned is usually a relatively bad business manager or the customer had given to much money upfront which allows for the contractor to disappear until they need more. I always recommend, as was mentioned, to get a clear timeline, and also I would suggest on bigger projects to set up different draw points. In other words set up for example after demo the contractor gets so much, then after electrical is rough inspected they get another draw, and so on... I hope this helps!

  • Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Jen Ikuta

    Hi Jen, after looking at the pictures that you sent I honestly can only say that the house needs cleaned out. As far as whether or not to demo the whole thing, could you tell me or send pics of the foundation? Framing? Roof structure? Etc...

    Also something to consider is if the property has a high enough ARV to justify a full gut and redo or only a good enough ARV to justify updating? The other consideration would be if the land (due to location) would bring more of a return if a new home was constructed on it vs the other two options. I will happily go back and forth with information to help you determine a resolution to your question.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brian Versetti:

    and also I would suggest on bigger projects to set up different draw points. In other words set up for example after demo the contractor gets so much, then after electrical is rough inspected they get another draw, and so on... 

    Yep^^^ I always set up the payments to be as fair as possible to both parties. I never got anything up front as a sign of good faith, but then would get about 1/3 of each trade in advance so I could give my subs some money for materials. Then once that trade was finished completely I would request the final balance due.

    Of course, Change Orders needed to be paid in full as soon as they were signed.


  • Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2022 · 66 posts · 28 votes
    3y

    I would love a contractor to teach me to do the work right.  If things goes well I''ll be purchasing a hot mess.  There is a lot in my wheelhouse and a lot I'll need to hire out.  But I want to do the tile myself.  But am worried because being waterproof in the bath is so important.  

    I would love to hire a contractor to come teach me.  The last time I tried this they did sort of talk me through it but I think were more into the hustle than the teaching.  Which makes sense.  

    What do you think?

  • Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Lisa Wright

    Lisa if I were closer I would come teach you but, since I'm in Pittsburgh, the best I could do is walk you through it legitimately. I have done this in the past for friends and have had a lot of success! If you would like that feel free to let me know!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 184 posts · 182 votes
    3y
    Quote from Lisa @Lisa Wright:

    I would love a contractor to teach me to do the work right.  If things goes well I''ll be purchasing a hot mess.  There is a lot in my wheelhouse and a lot I'll need to hire out.  But I want to do the tile myself.  But am worried because being waterproof in the bath is so important.  

    I would love to hire a contractor to come teach me.  The last time I tried this they did sort of talk me through it but I think were more into the hustle than the teaching.  Which makes sense.  

    What do you think?

    For @Lisa and all others wanting to learn how to tile, let me help. 

    Go to the John Bridge forums online and spend a ton of time reading, learning, and asking questions. 

     
    You will soon know more than most professional tilers. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.