Contractor Questions maybe I can help

Contractor Questions maybe I can help

Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes

I am a General Contractor in the Pittsburgh, PA area, I am NOT looking for work.

I wanted to try to add something useful to the site since it offers me so much so... if you are in need of a Contractor's opinion feel free to reach out and I will do my best to help! I've been in business for 16+ years so hopefully my knowledge can help!

7Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Why are contractors notorious for ghosting their projects  


Most Contractors are not crooks...what happens is that they are really poor business managers. They will underbid a project, and then have to take on another one to help share the costs for the first one. And then a 3rd and 4th. Soon they are overwhelmed and do not know how to get out, so they run like this until they run out of work. Then they swear to change their ways and never do this again. 

Of course they underbid their next job because now they are desperate to make money. And there they go again....

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brian Versetti:

    @Jen Ikuta

    Hi Jen, after looking at the pictures that you sent I honestly can only say that the house needs cleaned out. As far as whether or not to demo the whole thing, could you tell me or send pics of the foundation? Framing? Roof structure? Etc...

    Also something to consider is if the property has a high enough ARV to justify a full gut and redo or only a good enough ARV to justify updating? The other consideration would be if the land (due to location) would bring more of a return if a new home was constructed on it vs the other two options. I will happily go back and forth with information to help you determine a resolution to your question.

     Hey Brian, how much should I have paid for the new wall standing in front of 114 E 20th Ave in Munhall?

  • Contractor · Munhall, PA · Member since 2022 · 29 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    @Jim K.

    I love to help people as much as possible but it is very hard to give an answer about costs that should of been. The reason I say this is all contractors have different overhead costs that are, not always appropriately, figured into a bid as well as each contractor has their way of doing a job which makes cost vary from contractor to contractor. I, for example, do not exactly believe in or follow the minimum building codes because I do not believe they are always sufficient, so I tend to overbuild when codes are considered and that makes my price a bit higher than some others due to added materials and/or labor. I hope this is helpful.

  • Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2022 · 66 posts · 28 votes
    3y

    Thank you!  I'm joined up.  I do like hands on but maybe I can find someone local happy to teach in exchange for some lifting.  

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jim K.:

     Hey Brian, how much should I have paid for the new wall standing in front of 114 E 20th Ave in Munhall?

    Hi Jim,

    I looked at your rental on street veiw, but no wall in sight.

    Any pics of the new wall you can post?

    That place looks like a great rental to have in your portfolio--big and solid looking. I like it.
     
  • Wholesaler · Savannah, GA · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Hello all, 
    I am looking to learn how to do certain projects in the property, similar to @Lisa Wright. 

    If I would want to go the route of hiring an expert to teach me. How would I approach the contractor and ask if they can teach me? 

     Thank you, 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.