In search of contractors and handymen

In search of contractors and handymen

Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 10 votes

Hello, I'm a new investor in the area of Cleveland Ohio. I am wondering about local handymen and contractors. What area do you work in and what areas are great for investing properties locally? Thank you in advance.

2Reply
17 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • I​nvestor & Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    If I can make a friendly suggestion don’t start off looking for contractors. And please NEVER hire one who is self promoted. Make it your ambition to only hire someone via your referral network. If you don’t yet have that, get started via networking with agents, investors etc who have good quality contractors. Obtaining your contractors / handyman via referrals will save you so much time, and, headache. They aren’t always perfect either, so learn to vet them. Hope it helps. 

  • Investor · Cleveland Heights, OH · Member since 2017 · 128 posts · 73 votes
    3y

    @Anna Bodmer sometimes the best way to find one is to go out to breakfast. Talk to locals about who they have used for similar projects and liked and didn’t like. If it someone trying to drum up business for a family member you may want to steer clear. If it is someone that person uses a lot, you are calling with a reference to someone else they have done work for. Gives you a leg up with busy contractors as more likely to go with you than someone with no prior contact. Be ready to pay day they are done. Then if they have to decide between you who pays day work is done and a new client or someone they have to chase for money they will prioritize you.

  • Investor · OH · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    I have found that Covid has impacted the skilled labor market. I remember my go-to-guys eager and hungry for business, now say they have larger projects or just don’t care. I have had 2 flakes not show up and had to fire 2 contractors for poor workmanship. Be very careful who you choose.
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Anna Bodmer:

    Hello, I'm a new investor in the area of Cleveland Ohio. I am wondering about local handymen and contractors. What area do you work in and what areas are great for investing properties locally? Thank you in advance.

    You will never put together a team this way. You will get guys that say sure no problem, then they will take your money and the job will not get done. How you going to run the job your not there ?  DO NOT try and go it alone, it will not end well. I have extensive experience out there.  All you need to do is connect with those doing deals and allow then to handle all for you. All areas, again its all about your team and knowledge 
    Good luck 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.