Scope of Work ( I have a rough draft, but what more should I consider)

Scope of Work ( I have a rough draft, but what more should I consider)

Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 5 votes

Good Evening All, 

Thank you to everyone that has provided help and responded to my posts. Right now I am working on a scope of work for my contractors. I know I am not telling them how to do their job in the scope of work but I am telling them what to do. However because of my lack of expertise I feel like the way I've communicated what to do has been rather... crude for example: 

Bathroom (living room):

  • Full gut
  • Replace flooring with $3 and under a square foot tile same with wall tile. Tile will only be extended to the end of the shower (industry standard/default look). The rest of the bathroom will be painted and include regular and standard walls for wet/humid/damp places
  • Install tub and new shower head ($200-250 tub) ($100 or less shower head)
  • Bathroom cabinets with sink ($400 cabinet or less)
  • Vanity mirror ($150 and less)
  • All cracks and discoloring on walls to be repaired

This is a rough draft and I haven't shown the contractors this yet, but I have explained it to them verbally when I walked the property with them. Of course though all the work to be performed needs to be in writing. I feel like I need to add dimensions and more specifications, but I'm not quite sure. If you guys have examples or recommendations please let me know. Thanks! 

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y

Your contractors job is to come up with a scope of work. 

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Your contractors job is to come up with a scope of work. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    @Aaron Bito You are making this too difficult. All you do is 1) Find a GOOD Contractor, 2) Tell them something like "Hey I'd like to redo this bathroom, and here is my rough budget", 3) Let THEM come up with the Scope Of Work like you showed us, 4) Go over the SOW and add to it as needed, 5) Back away and let them do the work, don't look at it every day to make sure it's ok.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Aaron Bito:

    Good Evening All, 

    Thank you to everyone that has provided help and responded to my posts. Right now I am working on a scope of work for my contractors. I know I am not telling them how to do their job in the scope of work but I am telling them what to do. However because of my lack of expertise I feel like the way I've communicated what to do has been rather... crude for example: 

    Bathroom (living room):

    • Full gut
    • Replace flooring with $3 and under a square foot tile same with wall tile. Tile will only be extended to the end of the shower (industry standard/default look). The rest of the bathroom will be painted and include regular and standard walls for wet/humid/damp places
    • Install tub and new shower head ($200-250 tub) ($100 or less shower head)
    • Bathroom cabinets with sink ($400 cabinet or less)
    • Vanity mirror ($150 and less)
    • All cracks and discoloring on walls to be repaired

    This is a rough draft and I haven't shown the contractors this yet, but I have explained it to them verbally when I walked the property with them. Of course though all the work to be performed needs to be in writing. I feel like I need to add dimensions and more specifications, but I'm not quite sure. If you guys have examples or recommendations please let me know. Thanks! 

    Hi Aaron,

     So you are just going to let some contractor pick out the items according to their tastes or lack thereof, simply based on price?

    Do you know any females who have a good decorating genetic (50% of the renters are females).

    If so, maybe head on down to Home Depot with her, and take some pics and note the part numbers of items that will make a pleasant attractive look for your project.

    Then rather that let somebody who really doesn't care about the marketability of your units make the choices, you will have a much more marketable offer for the prospective renters.

    Use extend length oval toilets vs the round ones, and do not put carpet in the bathroom.

    When buying think marketability of the unit and ease of cleaning as well as current tastes of potential renters.

    You want to have a marketable offer for your prospective rents.

    Good Luck!

  • Contractor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    Hi Aaron! Scopes in my experience are very helpful to assure the work is completed exactly how the client / home owner desires. Also having something in writing creates clarity with your contractors and something to fall back on in the event someone forgets what was discussed.

    To create a good scope you have to have a great understanding of the design. Especially the finishes (paint spec, tile spec, vanity, bath accessories, plumbing fixtures, doors, lighting, etc.) going into the project. Be specific, good info gets good results.

    If you are going the route of engaging a GC (general contractor) to provide a turn-key option, then you are relying on them to make decisions in these areas to complete your project for what they perceive as your expectations (not always correct) but is a nice option if you are looking for a hassle free (relatively) process... but it comes with a premium in my experience.

    For myself, what I have found is most cost effective (10-20% savings of total project) is to bid each individual trade out. Below is a draft scope of work for a bathroom reno project I did at one of my properties recently. I have found I can also get work done 2x faster going this route.

    Bathroom Reno - Scope of Work :

    Demo
    - Remove existing vanity, lighting, bath accessories, wall tile, cement board, down to wood studs
    - Remove and salvage toilet

    Drywall / Texture / Paint
    - Patch and repair drywall where we required with MR board for wet areas. Texture to match existing house.

    - Paint to match existing house (provide DE #)

    Plumbing
    - Raise existing shower head to 7' min.
    - Swap out shower valve
    - Install trim for shower and vanity faucet including p trap and full plumbing connections for function shower, toilet, and vanity faucet system
    - Reset toilet or install new toilet, caulk base

    Tile / Flooring
    - Provide new cement board with waterproofing
    - Install tile (provide exact spec, and designate wall and floor tile specs)
    - Install 12" x 12" niche in shower on adjacent wall to shower head, center on wall
    - Install new floor tile, (provide grout color spec for shower and floor)

    Mechanical
    - Swap out grille on existing exhaust fan

    Electrical
    - Provide GFCI outlet next to vanity
    - Install new vanity light fixture
    - Provide can light fixture over shower area
    - Install trim for switches, covers, etc.

    Bathroom Accessories & Misc.
    - Install towel, TP holders, mirrors
    - Install floor base and caulk+paint

    - Set vanity and backsplash, caulk perimeter

    Doors & Hardware
    - Swap out door hardware (owner provided)

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Vicente Terán:

    For myself, what I have found is most cost effective (10-20% savings of total project) is to bid each individual trade out

    So you're doing what is called 'Owner/Builder'. This does allow a person to pull the permits and mange the project just as a General Contractor would. However, in most areas, you are only allowed to do this on your own personal dwelling (where you live). You are not allowed to do this on rental units. This is just a cheat to bypass Contracting Laws.

    You could easily get caught by the Building Department if you try this. And the fines and penalties are not worth it. Just pay the extra 20% and hire a good GC...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.