Investor · CHESAPEAKE, VA · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 5 votes
Had multiple guys reach out to me on several projects. When I say email me your contractor license and insurance info, I never hear from them again. Am I off track? How are you ensuring folks are legit?
Real Estate Agent · San Diego · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 52 votes
3y
Not sure how it works in other states but here in California we can look up license info and if they are bonded, etc., online (cslb.ca.gov). I assume most states have a similar service. So I would use the license number listed on their website or use their name or company name to check they are licensed as well to make sure they have an active license. Try to do this prior to meeting with them so you can either address it with them in person if they are not showing up online or avoid wasting your time if you are only looking to work with licensed contractors. I always check with the license lookup before reaching out to schedule a meeting.
Had multiple guys reach out to me on several projects. When I say email me your contractor license and insurance info, I never hear from them again. Am I off track? How are you ensuring folks are legit?
Great question and as a Management company, we have our requirements listed on our website. In initiating repairs for owners, you become a general contractor and can be held liable, so you definitely want to make sure they have proper coverage. Here are the basics we ask for, and then they can download our agreement and learn more information on our "preferred Vendor program".
Basic Requirements:
Provide Proof of Liability Insurance
Provide Proof of Workers Compensation Insurance (if required by law)
Be available to complete work orders in a timely manner
Sign the Preferred Vendor agreement with our terms and conditions
Real Estate Agent · San Diego · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 52 votes
3y
Not sure how it works in other states but here in California we can look up license info and if they are bonded, etc., online (cslb.ca.gov). I assume most states have a similar service. So I would use the license number listed on their website or use their name or company name to check they are licensed as well to make sure they have an active license. Try to do this prior to meeting with them so you can either address it with them in person if they are not showing up online or avoid wasting your time if you are only looking to work with licensed contractors. I always check with the license lookup before reaching out to schedule a meeting.
Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y
Always vet...and I would never ask a contractor for his license; I want to look that up and his complaint history myself as well as the BBB and online reviews. Any contractor with only 5-star reviews haAs a lot of cousins so don't drink the kool-aid. I also want to know what other jobs they just finished and actually driveby (even talk to the owners).
A couple of things as well:
1. Get a Scope of Work - detailed, with completion dates on it. Make sure you're job is going to be done from start to finish.
2. Don't pay for the work upfront. A deposit is customary in my market but I pay it when they show up for work the first day.
3. Pay for supplies whenever possible. It cuts out the mark up and waste.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y
Like they ^^^ said....
Never work with a Contractor without:
a) A valid License (if required in your state). Check it on the State website for any complaints....and also check the owner info, some people will 'use' a friend's or relative's license
b) Bond policy in place and current
c) Liability Insurance in place and current for appropriate amounts
d) Worker's Comp policy, unless they are exempt because it's a family member
e) Ask for a Proposal/Scope Of Work and see what you get. You will be able to tell right away if the company is flaky....
In my experience, the BBB is worthless, they just charge you so they can make any complaints go away. Customer referrals are not much good either...do you think anyone will give you a bad referral?
Had multiple guys reach out to me on several projects. When I say email me your contractor license and insurance info, I never hear from them again. Am I off track? How are you ensuring folks are legit?
Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y
If you never hear from them again, don’t bother reaching back out. The best way to vet contractors is by walking active projects they have going on and calling referrals.
Real Estate Agent · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2022 · 83 posts · 63 votes
3y
It is hard to find a trustworthy contractor. Any that or legit should have no problem with emailing you their license and insurance but I don't think I would stop there. You can pass the contractors test by studying the book and pay for insurance that doesn't make you a good contractor.
*Ask them to come meet you in person. See for yourself what kind of person you are going to be working with. I know it sounds superficial but look at his truck... most decent contractors drive a decent truck not some beat up piece of junk.
*Ask for before/after pictures of work they have done. Most decent contractors take pictures of projects and are willing to send them to you for progress on the jobs they are working on.
*Find out what their work schedule is... if they can do that day there is a good chance they aren't very good. Any decent contractor will be a several days or week(s) out at starting. That may depend on if they have crews working for them also. It may be worth asking if they more than one crew.
Honestly most of the decent ones don't want to spend a lot of time proving to you that they are good at what they do. They are busy. That makes it really difficult to filter them out. If you know someone that has used someone already get recommendations. Otherwise try and do some research on the people your contacting.
You can pass the contractors test by studying the book and pay for insurance that doesn't make you a good contractor.
Not quite. In states that require a Contr Lic, you must first prove at least 4 years of related work at Journeyman level or higher, and you must have someone licensed in the same trade sign a recommendation (under penalty of perjury) to the state for you. Then you must pass a 4 hr test in both Law and Trade.....and for example, when I took my last license exam, the pass rate was only 12%.
Then you must be fingerprinted and run through the national database similar to purchasing a firearm.
Then....it usually costs $500 dollars for a 2 year license, after you've paid $400 for the test and $500 for the class. And then it's at least $2000 for your first insurance payment and another couple grand for your deposit to Worker's Comp.