Please advice the costs of these repairs

Please advice the costs of these repairs

Investor · chicago · Member since 2026 · 18 posts · 22 votes

Hello all contractors out there, I am an eyeing a ver nice deal, however the property needs its good rehab. I want to rehab and then hold/rent.

One wall has stress fracture

The rear porch is constructed illegally without permits or plans and presents 
 INADAQUATE FIRE RATING ON WALLS AND CEILING; DECKING EXCESSIVE SLOPE, POSSIBLE DUE PORCH PULLING AWAY FROM BUILDING AND OR BEAM TO COLUMN CONNECTION FAILING, AND OR

EXCESSIVE WEIGHT; JOIST MISSING

HANGERS; GUARD RAILS HORIZONTAL

WITH EXCESSIVE SPACING; LEDGERS-

ALL TOE- NAILED CONNECTIONS;

LEDGER AND STRINGER ALL NAILED

CONNECTIONS; FOUNDATION NOT

VERIFIED; 

does this mean I have to tear the porch? If so how much does it cost? 



0Reply
187 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
6mo
Quote from @Isabel Rao:

Hello all contractors out there, I am an eyeing a ver nice deal, however the property needs its good rehab. I want to rehab and then hold/rent.

One wall has stress fracture

The rear porch is constructed illegally without permits or plans and presents 
 INADAQUATE FIRE RATING ON WALLS AND CEILING; DECKING EXCESSIVE SLOPE, POSSIBLE DUE PORCH PULLING AWAY FROM BUILDING AND OR BEAM TO COLUMN CONNECTION FAILING, AND OR

EXCESSIVE WEIGHT; JOIST MISSING

HANGERS; GUARD RAILS HORIZONTAL

WITH EXCESSIVE SPACING; LEDGERS-

ALL TOE- NAILED CONNECTIONS;

LEDGER AND STRINGER ALL NAILED

CONNECTIONS; FOUNDATION NOT

VERIFIED; 

does this mean I have to tear the porch? If so how much does it cost? 



Yeah, without seeing it it sounds like it's cheaper just to tear it down and do it right The footings and substructure are probably not to code either. You don't give us a size, or what type of materials you plan to use, so there's really no way we can put a good number on it.
for an average size deck, say 12x12 ft, you'd be looking at $8, 000 to $10,000. Rails and stairs add to the price significantly. So does using redwood or trex...
Give us some details if you want better guess on pricing...
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Isabel Rao:

    Hello all contractors out there, I am an eyeing a ver nice deal, however the property needs its good rehab. I want to rehab and then hold/rent.

    One wall has stress fracture

    The rear porch is constructed illegally without permits or plans and presents 
     INADAQUATE FIRE RATING ON WALLS AND CEILING; DECKING EXCESSIVE SLOPE, POSSIBLE DUE PORCH PULLING AWAY FROM BUILDING AND OR BEAM TO COLUMN CONNECTION FAILING, AND OR

    EXCESSIVE WEIGHT; JOIST MISSING

    HANGERS; GUARD RAILS HORIZONTAL

    WITH EXCESSIVE SPACING; LEDGERS-

    ALL TOE- NAILED CONNECTIONS;

    LEDGER AND STRINGER ALL NAILED

    CONNECTIONS; FOUNDATION NOT

    VERIFIED; 

    does this mean I have to tear the porch? If so how much does it cost? 



    Yeah, without seeing it it sounds like it's cheaper just to tear it down and do it right The footings and substructure are probably not to code either. You don't give us a size, or what type of materials you plan to use, so there's really no way we can put a good number on it.
    for an average size deck, say 12x12 ft, you'd be looking at $8, 000 to $10,000. Rails and stairs add to the price significantly. So does using redwood or trex...
    Give us some details if you want better guess on pricing...
  • Investor · chicago · Member since 2026 · 18 posts · 22 votes
    6mo

    Sorry about the lack of details, I am thinking of a standard porch for 2u multifamily, cheapest material that can hold up cold, snowy winters and hot humid summers.


    thank you. 

    • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
      Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Isabel Rao:

      Sorry about the lack of details, I am thinking of a standard porch for 2u multifamily, cheapest material that can hold up cold, snowy winters and hot humid summers.


      thank you. 

      In the case of that weather, I would use pressure treated for the sub-structure and use Trex for the top decking. Yes, more expensive by maybe 30%, but it will last a looong time. Ends up being cheaper in the long run.
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    @Isabel Rao

    Realistically if you want accurate numbers you will need several contractors to check it out.

  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    I use Frackiel Builders (a/k/a Framar). Pricey, but excellent, in my experience. Inspectors know it’s them and know there’s no problems.

    Porch is least of your problems, though. Stress fracture in wall? Pass, and do not look back.

    • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
      Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @John Clark:

      I use Frackiel Builders (a/k/a Framar). Pricey, but excellent, in my experience. Inspectors know it’s them and know there’s no problems.

      Porch is least of your problems, though. Stress fracture in wall? Pass, and do not look back.

      I would never turn down a good stress fracture. Lots of money to be made on houses like this, because it scares everyone else away. It helps to be able to fix it yourself of course, lol
    • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
      Quote from @John Clark:

      I use Frackiel Builders (a/k/a Framar). Pricey, but excellent, in my experience. Inspectors know it’s them and know there’s no problems.

      Porch is least of your problems, though. Stress fracture in wall? Pass, and do not look back.

      I would never turn down a good stress fracture. Lots of money to be made on houses like this, because it scares everyone else away. It helps to be able to fix it yourself of course, lol

       Yup! Or know a good underpinning Co.  : )

    • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
      Quote from @John Clark:

      I use Frackiel Builders (a/k/a Framar). Pricey, but excellent, in my experience. Inspectors know it’s them and know there’s no problems.

      Porch is least of your problems, though. Stress fracture in wall? Pass, and do not look back.

      I would never turn down a good stress fracture. Lots of money to be made on houses like this, because it scares everyone else away. It helps to be able to fix it yourself of course, lol
      My problem is that I have never been able to distinguish between a good stress fracture and a bad one. Plenty of other deals and ways to lose money, so I move on.
    • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
      Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @John Clark:
      Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
      Quote from @John Clark:

      I use Frackiel Builders (a/k/a Framar). Pricey, but excellent, in my experience. Inspectors know it’s them and know there’s no problems.

      Porch is least of your problems, though. Stress fracture in wall? Pass, and do not look back.

      I would never turn down a good stress fracture. Lots of money to be made on houses like this, because it scares everyone else away. It helps to be able to fix it yourself of course, lol
      My problem is that I have never been able to distinguish between a good stress fracture and a bad one. Plenty of other deals and ways to lose money, so I move on.
      I hear you, I just look at it as a way to get rid of about 95% of the other investors. Everything can be fixed at a cost, it just depends on you to get your numbers right just like everything else....
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6mo

    I'd highly encourage to bring a few GC's out there, without photos or any info we are guessing. Seems like the porch is a tear off and redo which widely ranges 8-15K+, so many variables can influence this number. On the wall is that a foundation wall? Is it starting to move/come in? If so I'd bring an engineer out to do a report then have foundation companies bid. 

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6mo

    @Isabel Rao

    You have received some good feedback here already.  The only fire rating in a 2 unit building is the fire barrier wall between two units assuming they are side by side.  A horizontal rating if they are above and below.  The deck sounds like a rebuild.  Anything can be fixed at a cost .  I agree with @Bruce Woodruff I love structural issues.  They scare every one else off, but you need to know what you are doing.  Those cost can run you a lot so accurate analysis is critical.

    I’ve invested in many buildings in the Chicagoland market.  Seems like permitting is going to be an issue.  I would FOIA the records from the city to see if there is history with non-permitted work and structural issues.  There may be an active file already on this. Due diligence is critical.

    Best of Luck. 

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6mo

    @Isabel Rao

    You have received some good feedback here already.  The only fire rating in a 2 unit building is the fire barrier wall between two units assuming they are side by side.  A horizontal rating if they are above and below.  The deck sounds like a rebuild.  Anything can be fixed at a cost .  I agree with @Bruce Woodruff I love structural issues.  They scare every one else off, but you need to know what you are doing.  Those cost can run you a lot so accurate analysis is critical.

    I’ve invested in many buildings in the Chicagoland market.  Seems like permitting is going to be an issue.  I would FOIA the records from the city to see if there is history with non-permitted work and structural issues.  There may be an active file already on this. Due diligence is critical.

    Best of Luck. 

  • Contractor · Romeoville, IL · Member since 2015 · 198 posts · 137 votes
    6mo

    Chicago has very a stringent building code when it comes to decks. If you have already purchased the property your first step is to secure an architect that is self certified either on your own or with a licensed contractor in the city. It is very important that you separate the drawings from the rehab contract and own your drawings first BEFORE signing with a contractor. Make sure you own the drawings NOT the contractor.  The drawings should include the entire project, not just the deck. You will need a plat of survey so be sure to secure that at closing. If you are looking for a no nonsense qualified contractor who is a "pay for performance" company, call me. We handle everything soup to nuts in Chicago from rehab to new construction. We are 203k certified and are financially sound meaning we do not take deposits but rather paid on draws for completed/inspected items. We are a SAM vendor and are the largest Fannie Mae contractor in the country. Our clients are 95% investor and we have projects currently under permit in 17 states. Based in the Chicago market we can help. Bids are free so reach out to me and we can get to work!

    • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
      Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Robert Leach:

      Chicago has very a stringent building code when it comes to decks. If you have already purchased the property your first step is to secure an architect that is self certified either on your own or with a licensed contractor in the city. It is very important that you separate the drawings from the rehab contract and own your drawings first BEFORE signing with a contractor. Make sure you own the drawings NOT the contractor.  The drawings should include the entire project, not just the deck. You will need a plat of survey so be sure to secure that at closing. If you are looking for a no nonsense qualified contractor who is a "pay for performance" company, call me. We handle everything soup to nuts in Chicago from rehab to new construction. We are 203k certified and are financially sound meaning we do not take deposits but rather paid on draws for completed/inspected items. We are a SAM vendor and are the largest Fannie Mae contractor in the country. Our clients are 95% investor and we have projects currently under permit in 17 states. Based in the Chicago market we can help. Bids are free so reach out to me and we can get to work!



      "We are financially sound meaning we do not take deposits but rather paid on draws for completed/inspected items."

      Now that is the way to do it! As I've said many times here when investors ask how to set up a draw schedule, and we hear about Contractors want 50% up front....

      I never took any $$ up front either. Any Contractor that needs money to get started must have a poor financial situation, and that is a Red Flag!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.