San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
Hi, I just recently bought a duplex in La Mesa, CA (San Diego) and am looking for some contractors to build an extra laundry hookup for the bottom unit for my future tenants. Currently, I'm living in the top unit and there's already a laundry hookup in the garage. About how much could this potentially cost?
Also, I'm looking for an electrician because I have two separate electricity boxes for the two separate units but some lights still turn on in the bottom unit even though I've only activated the top unit with SDGE. I'm thinking that the units are not wired correctly to the correct panels.
If any one has any recommendations for this sort of contractor work, please message me! I will be contacting them asap when I get their info for an estimate.
Contractor · Milltown, NJ · Member since 2016 · 297 posts · 213 votes
9y
Da Chung Although I can not assist you directly due to geographical restraints, I can offer you some advice on what to expect, as I solved similar problems for investors in my area. What you are experiencing is the result of landlords hiring handymen to do electric work. Having electricity split between two separate is a violation of the electric code and I'm sure your tenants won't be thrilled with paying someone else's electric bill. So you are on the right track with remedying this situation before someone moves in. Also, you mention 2 electric panels, when in all actuality you need 3 for a duplex, the third is for the common areas (staircases, shared basement, exterior lighting, etc.). A licensed electrician in your area will point these things out to you.
Now for what to expect when solving your current shared power issue between units. First off, you should also hire a painter because this will require some new wires to be ran, and if the existing electric panel isn't on a shared wall, or directly above or below the rooms in question, there will be holes to patch and paint. Also, the electrician will need to trouble shoot which outlets/lights are on the wrong panels, a service like this is generally billed on an agreed upon hourly rate, since there is no way to tell beforehand how serious the issues are. Most likely, depending on your area, you will want to pull permits, however that is a personal choice between you and your contractor and comes with its own set of caveats. Hopefully this problem can be remedied with a day or two of work. Let me know if you have any questions about what your contractor says and I will be glad to assist you. Keep us posted on your progress, best of luck.
Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
9y
The plumbing for the laundry will heavily depend on what plumbing is near to the proposed laundry hookup as well as potentially the foundation type. Is there hot, cold, and sewer hookup close to the proposed laundry hookups? Do you plan on gas and electric (240v) dryer hookups? Can your existing panel handle a new deadicated 240v circuit? Is there a raised foundation? is the wall for the proposed hookup an interior or external wall? If it is an external wall is it acceptable to you to have the plumbing/electric conduit on the outside of the unit? All of these have an impact on the expected cost. If you need a new circuit panel with a new sdge drop then I suspect the cost will exceed the benefit.
San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 226 votes
9y
@Da Chung We just added a laundry room in a storage in our 4 unit (no plumbing at all so much more expensive), and we've also upgraded all 4 electric boxes. I've been really happy with both our plumber and electrician. PM me for the names (not sure if I can post them here?).
San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
9y
Just got an Electrician to look at today. Apparently it'll be a pretty easy set up for the laundry hookup from an electricians perspective, he gave me a $410 quote on it to upgrade the panel to a 100 from a 60 volt? Then he would wire the 30 amp into one of the circuits for the dryer. Don't have a quote from the plumber yet for the hot and cold water and drainage. Called someone for an estimate. The wiring from downstairs seems to be an easy fix, the bottom stairs lights all leads to one circuit breaker in the garage so they're taking that off and rewiring it to lead to the basement which is directly under the garage. I'll let you know how the pricing goes.
Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Da Chung It's a 1 day job for a handyman, should be around 600-700 for desperate people. I have an electrician that charges around 200-250 for half a day and 300 for whole day, plus materials. 410 is around the ballpark, if you can find both electrician and plumber for the same guy, you'll save money. If that's my job, i'd pay 300-400 plus materials which might be less than 300. there is no 60 volt, maybe you meant upgrade a 60 amp panel to 100 amp, which you don't really need.
San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 1 vote
9y
The guy from Interwest Electric charged me $800 for rewiring the downstairs to upstairs! He had 2 men at 3.5 hours each x $89.00 per hour. I was astounded. Especially because the 2nd "man" was a kid who was on the job training with the actual electrician. He wouldn't give me an estimate or ballpark range when I asked him during the walk around and surprised me with the invoice... I'm kind of mad. Guess that's what I get for not trying to get other quotes from other people.
Contractor · Milltown, NJ · Member since 2016 · 297 posts · 213 votes
9y
Da Chung Please refer to my previous post for the cost breakdown. Especially pay attention to the part where I talked about troubleshooting. The price you paid was fair for LICENSED electric work. Handymen/unlicensed electricians should not be running any wires, as it is an act of unlicensed electric work. Which is a felony and is accompanied by a $10,000 fine in NJ. I am sure California has similar laws. Most importantly, handymen do not carry insurance for performing electric work, one of the prerequisites for obtaining insurance from an insurance company is having an electric license, which handymen do not have.
Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Da Chung You have the option not to pay him. No signed quote/contract = heresay. any work more than 500 in CA needs a license, he has to give/show his pocket license, sign a quote/contract, wait 3 days before the contract is fully binding. You got scammed for not doing it right, it happens. Next time, no contract = no work.