Best way to zone heat a 2000 sq ft home

Best way to zone heat a 2000 sq ft home

Flipper/Rehabber · River Forest, IL · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 42 votes

Many HVAC professionals really push installing a second furnace in larger gut rehabs that have ducting or other issues in the field. The two other methods I am aware of are installing a motorized main damper to direct flow to the area calling for it and hydronic boilers driving several remote air handlers. These could be instant on boilers that could also replace a water heater.  Yet no one seems interested in exploring those alternatives that would seem to less work or equipment, thus lower cost. Am I way off base or has anyone had experience doing what I describe. Thanks in advance.

0Reply
16 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Mark Shelstad:

    Many HVAC professionals really push installing a second furnace in larger gut rehabs that have ducting or other issues in the field. The two other methods I am aware of are installing a motorized main damper to direct flow to the area calling for it and hydronic boilers driving several remote air handlers. These could be instant on boilers that could also replace a water heater.  Yet no one seems interested in exploring those alternatives that would seem to less work or equipment, thus lower cost. Am I way off base or has anyone had experience doing what I describe. Thanks in advance.

     HVAC people make a living installing more costly solutions. In some properties I put electric baseboards from Lowes and I was perfectly content with the outcome. The style of the home, the space you are trying to heat, the price point of the property all play a role.

  • Property Manager · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 601 posts · 384 votes
    8y

    Mark, I have a 4,000 sq/ft home and I heat it in the winter with one pellet stove. Costs me about $5 a day. I have to fill the stove every other day. That's the best way to heat it. There really is no "best" way for all properties. If you can let me know a little bit more about the property I can give you a little better of an answer. I am a general contractor in Syracuse, NY.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · River Forest, IL · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 42 votes
    8y

    @Ronald Starusnak . Thanks. Chicago metro gut rehab 2200 ft above grade; approx 700 finished in basement. 4 beds. Gas forced air with a/c. will be R49 in newly redone roof area (50%) with remainder approx R30. New windows will be installed. Homes exterior is approx half brick and half vinyl siding; originally built in the 1950s. Detached garage.

    Entire south side of the home has good solar exposure, but I have no plans to install any solar array.

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 339 votes
    8y

    We just added on 500 sq ft, and it turned out to cost less (up front and long term) to put a mini-split in the addition, rather than add ducts and zoning. So our forced air gas heats the old part of the house downstairs, and the mini-split heats and cools the well-insulated upstairs. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.