Cash out Refi or No money out Refi…

Cash out Refi or No money out Refi…

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 58 posts · 17 votes

I'm currently refinancing my house from a VA loan at 2.75 to a Conventional at 2.865. The reason I'm even doing this is because I have enough equity to get into a Conventional with 20% equity and no PMI. I have about $40k in equity past the 20% I could take out, put into a down payment on an investment property, but not sure if that's the best direction to go. My plan was to use my VA loan entitlement (no money down/no PMI) to purchase a new primary residence and lease out my current home at about 3k a month and more than covering mortgage.The only thing about that is the homes are expensive in my area and I'll be getting a $450k+ mortgage to purchase a new home in my area. I've talked to lenders, so I would qualify to purchase in my area at a higher amount. The appreciation would more than likely be good in my area, but it's a high mortgage. Any thoughts? I could always cash out the $40k for an investment property and still do the primary residence purchase down the road, but just wondering if it would be better now than vs later with prices steadily rising.

0Reply
18 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 26 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    Are you planning on using the cash you pulled out to improve the new primary residence? What about buying a multi-family with your VA loan, using the extra cash to update the units, and rent out the non-occupied ones to cover the mortgage? Not sure where you live, but there are lots of nice duplexes in nice areas that would let you have your cake and eat it, too, so to speak.

  • Bonnie LowPro Member
    Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    If I had access to a VA loan I would be using it as much as possible in this market. There's no sign of prices slowing down any time soon, although people love to predict a crash. The housing market is so short of units in most areas that the pressure on existing built homes is tremendous and unlikely to change in the short term. If I understand the VA loan properly, I think you may have three options you can pull off simultaneously: 1) keep your current home as a rental 2) take the cash out when you refi the current home and use that for a down payment on another investment property (non-VA) and 3) get into a new primary residence with a 0% down VA loan. That's a win-win-win.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.