Heloc or hard money loan for a brrrr method

Heloc or hard money loan for a brrrr method

Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 3 votes

I have $75 k in equity is a residence I own. If I’m wanting to buy a $60k residence needing $15k in rehab. Is it better to get a hard money loan for the purchase and rehab and get the down payment from a heloc loan from my original residence. Or should I just get the whole loan for $75k from my heloc

0Reply
21 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2022 · 739 posts · 410 votes
    4y

    Hi @Brodie J Meaux, I am assuming that you are going to sell the property 6 months after you buy (flip) or rent and refinance (BRRRR).

    Either way, it is a short-term use of funds so a HELOC is probably your best bet.

    The HELOC is going to have much better rates and fees compared to hard money.

    The issue that you would run into is that you cannot access all the equity in your home. HELOCs typically go to 90%.

    However, if you would like a referral to a lender that can do a HELOC at 97.5%, please let me know.

    Hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

  • Investor · Philadelphia/Charlotte/Raleigh/SD and LA Counties · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    I would rate shop and put the numbers in a spreadsheet. 

  • Lender · Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2008 · 154 posts · 30 votes
    4y

    These days, credit unions have the best rates on HELOCs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.