Seeking feedback on offer strategy for Seller-Financing deal

Seeking feedback on offer strategy for Seller-Financing deal

Investor · Greater Holland Area · Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 2 votes

I am looking to add to my portfolio and have identified a person who owns two properties, free and clear. They’re both rentals (occupied) and in poor shape. The owner is older, very busy and has other projects on the table. Owner also has had a rough time with tenants as of late. 


Identifying these opportunities as potential motivators for the owner to want to get rid of both properties, I am looking to put a scenario together in which I would percent present an offer to the owner to help them get rid of their rental-related issues to the owner while growing my portfolio. 

I have been gorging on BP and Pace Morby content, so I have a (shaky 😅) grasp on the gist of my approach: Asking/confirming with seller what the problems are, offering a solution that includes a fair offer on the properties, the elimination of their tenant headaches, a reliable monthly payment, and avoiding expenses such as realtor’s commission and house inspection expenses. I will add the insurance of a Performance Deed built into the contract for a full “Seller’s win”.

In exchange for that problem-solving offer I will ask for “terms” such as seller financing, low interest rate, and low (or no) down payment. The only other fact to consider is that both properties would need some renovation funding in order to bring them up to the standards of my other rentals.

I am looking for observations on this approach, ideas to make it better and constructive criticism to enhance the chances of this deal going through!

Thank you all, Rod. 

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Plain City, OH · Member since 2022 · 82 posts · 58 votes
3y

Sounds like you've considered a lot here. I have one seller-financed deal that is very similar to yours. Older triplex in disrepair and a seller who wanted out. A main sticking point for him was the length of the seller financing, considering his age and health. We talked about balloon payments, but we settled on the following:

$0 down, but it has needed about $30k in repairs over the first year

20 years

2.5% interest for the first five years, and increasing by 2.5% every five years

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Plain City, OH · Member since 2022 · 82 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    Sounds like you've considered a lot here. I have one seller-financed deal that is very similar to yours. Older triplex in disrepair and a seller who wanted out. A main sticking point for him was the length of the seller financing, considering his age and health. We talked about balloon payments, but we settled on the following:

    $0 down, but it has needed about $30k in repairs over the first year

    20 years

    2.5% interest for the first five years, and increasing by 2.5% every five years

  • Investor · Greater Holland Area · Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    James,

    Thank you so much for sharing your insight! The seller's age is indeed something that also crossed my mind! So interested in learning the rest of the details of your deal. If I understand you correctly the interest would be as follows: Year 1-5: 2.5%  Year 6-10: 5%  Year 11-15 7.5%   Year 16-20: 10% ? You had a Performance Deed (Default) clause in the contract? I understand each state is different but, how did you structure the actual transfer of the property? Also, is it a rental? owner-occupied? How did you manage cash flow with the built-in repair expenses? Thank you!                  

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Outline all the reasons why it would benefit the seller, it's a no brainer when you think about it. Low taxes, get a cash down payment, no taxes paid, no maintenance. 

  • Realtor · Plain City, OH · Member since 2022 · 82 posts · 58 votes
    3y

    @Rod Mendoza Yes the interest follows that increasing scale you outlined. Yes there is a default clause in the contract, and we worked with an attorney who also owns a title agency. So the attorney drew up the documents for the note and handled the title transfer as well. It is a rental property fully occupied. 

    The rent from the three units totaled $1650 when I purchased, which cash flowed negatively after saving back for capex. I've been able to increase that to $2500 over the past year and a half with renovations and adjusting to the market rent. 

    I financed $10k in renovations with cash, and I financed a $20k new sewer lateral and interior plumbing with a home renovation loan.

    The home renovation loan totals about $600 a month, so the cashflow is still tight until that is paid off in three years. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.