Using a credit line and paying it back

Using a credit line and paying it back

Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote

I'm in the process of acquiring a credit line on a property. I'll have a $200K credit line soon. I know I could do a BRRR with a property under $200K but what if the property is over the $200K mark. How best do I use this credit in purchasing a property for let's say $400K? My credit line has to be paid back within 12 to 18 months. Thanks for your help!

1Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Nicholas L.Pro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
3y

@Kevin Hurricane Hudson

OK. BRRRR is tough, and BRRRR is expensive. And BRRRR is extra tough right now. You have to find a great deal - usually off market - and be able to add significant value via the rehab. And you have to factor in all of the costs that get ignored on BP - closing costs, holding costs, refi costs. And then when you refi your interest rate is going to be high, making it tough to cash flow.

I'd start small and wait until you find something that works.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Kevin Hurricane Hudson

    let's back up from the financing for a second.

    will this be your first BRRRR?

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Kevin Hurricane Hudson

    let's back up from the financing for a second.

    will this be your first BRRRR?


  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I would first do a BRRR sub 200K to get your feet wet. If you do have extensive experience then you could use the credit as a DP possibly. Not sure if you can utilize a hard money/private money lender

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thanks for your input.  I think you're right...I'll be on the lookout for a sub $200K brrr.  Thanks again 

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Kevin Hurricane Hudson:
    Quote from @Nicholas L.:

    @Kevin Hurricane Hudson

    let's back up from the financing for a second.

    will this be your first BRRRR?


    yes sir. First BRRR

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    @Kevin Hurricane Hudson

    OK. BRRRR is tough, and BRRRR is expensive. And BRRRR is extra tough right now. You have to find a great deal - usually off market - and be able to add significant value via the rehab. And you have to factor in all of the costs that get ignored on BP - closing costs, holding costs, refi costs. And then when you refi your interest rate is going to be high, making it tough to cash flow.

    I'd start small and wait until you find something that works.

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.👍🏻

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 477 posts · 263 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kevin Hurricane Hudson:

    Thanks for your input.  I think you're right...I'll be on the lookout for a sub $200K brrr.  Thanks again 


     Even if you do: look to see if you can qualify for a loan for $150k , $200k , 300k or $400k with 25% down. 

    Use the 25% with the credit line and the rest will come from the lender. 

    Make sure the rents cover : the credit line payment + the mortgage payment + costs + cash flow 

    Or do all of that for a fixer : use the rest of the funds to renovate and holding costs then refinance with conventional loan or DSCR loan and rent it out.

    REPEAT 

    Let me know if you need a good lender in the state/ city you want to do business in! 

  • Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Got it.  So you wouldn’t recommend using the credit line to pay in full for the property and repairs then re-fi? 

    you would use the credit line only for 25% down and repair cost?

    Then refinance after some time to repay the credit line, correct?


    thanks again for your help.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.