How can I find a mentor in real estate ?

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bucks County, PA · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 16 votes
3y

Hi Kelvin,

There are a lot of good ways to find a mentor in real estate and in my opinion they tend to come along by doing a couple things.

Working hard, getting into the game, and networking with other investors. My realtor was a good mentor to me through my first investment. They tend to come along the more you work in it. With that being said, I reach out to people all the time and look for mentoring opportunities. Keep in mind you don’t have to point to one hero and say that person is my mentor. They come and go, you learn things from different people and you give when you can. Biggest thing in my opinion is getting involved. Meet-ups are great for that!

Send me a PM if your interested in talking shop. I’m not the most experience but I love talking real estate and finance.


See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bucks County, PA · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    Hi Kelvin,

    There are a lot of good ways to find a mentor in real estate and in my opinion they tend to come along by doing a couple things.

    Working hard, getting into the game, and networking with other investors. My realtor was a good mentor to me through my first investment. They tend to come along the more you work in it. With that being said, I reach out to people all the time and look for mentoring opportunities. Keep in mind you don’t have to point to one hero and say that person is my mentor. They come and go, you learn things from different people and you give when you can. Biggest thing in my opinion is getting involved. Meet-ups are great for that!

    Send me a PM if your interested in talking shop. I’m not the most experience but I love talking real estate and finance.


  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 95 posts · 119 votes
    3y

    Hi Kevin,

    I'll echo a lot of what @Michael Vittorio said. In my experience, most people don't actually find their mentor by searching for them and reaching out asking them to be their mentor. Attend meetups and make relationships. My mentor was also my agent. When I was looking for my first property I looked for an investor friendly agent in my area that was a little ahead of me in his/her investing career. I met him at a meetup. We worked together to buy my first investment property and he became my mentor naturally.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    My mentors where people I worked with. I got a job in the field, buying foreclosures for an investment fund, then becoming an assistant project manager, and now work on the sales side. This way they pay you to learn! 

    I will say, understand that you are going to get paid based on your experience. But what you will learn will definitely outweigh it. I would talk with vendors, pick their brains, talk to buyers, see what others are doing and learn from it. 

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    3y

    @Kelvin Richards There are many groups that meet across the country. Some post here on the Bigger Pockets Marketplace. Many post on meetup.com. Even facebook will have some. Networking is always a great practice and you never know who you might meet there and what good information they have to share. Would certainly recommend visiting if one is close to you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Build genuine relationships 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    You don't need a mentor, you need to throw your self in the fire and learn on the job. Mentors (especially for me) are inhibiting and limiting 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.