Hello, so my HOA has gone up exponentially since I bought my condo from the $400s to what it is now which is $735 /mo. I knew buying this place there was that risk in the HOA increasing but I never imagined it to go up this much. I've been considering moving for a while but with "life" the timing was not right. Now, I am able to focus on the possibility of moving but I just don't know if that's wise…. I do house hack and rent out my second bedroom which covers the HOA cost and part of my mortgage. I don't see myself in this property long term, nor see it as a longterm rental. My gut tells me to get out sooner than later and find something that will cash flow.
Is now still an okay time to sell and capitalize on my equity?
My options will be to rent out a cheaper place with my current roommate, or ultimately move back in with my parents until I find the right investment deal.
Talk to a local realtor or two as they will have a better idea about the market. You don't say how long you've had your condo, but for the HOA to almost double is not a good sign and suggests something is wrong with the management. I'd get out.
I had a condo I purchased to live in (my first place) and then rented it out. They kept having special assessments for various things and after a while, I decided I'd had enough of that and sold it. A few months after I sold, they had a dozy of a special assessment (in the millions) and I was so happy I sold when I did.
I've been in my condo for 5 years now.. and my HOA has gone up 5-10% each year since PLUS special assessments.
Then, I'd sell it now. While you may get a lower price in the winter, if you turn around an buy a home you will also be buying it at a lower price. If you can afford it, I'd suggest a single family home with no HOAs.
Eventually I would love to buy more properties, but I know I need to take one step at a time. The next property I hope to buy is one that could set me up for potential cash flow or house hack possibilities. What are your thoughts?
Look at a few homes that are for sale in your price range to get an idea of where that gets you. Then I'd probably sell, but only if you can buy another home. While the market is slow in many areas, it will go up again in the spring and the longer you are out of the market, the harder it will be to get back in.
If you rent, you are going to have to move twice (which may be fine); but most landlords will want you to do a 1 year lease. That gives you less flexibility to find a new place and move in.
One way to look at it is since you are selling one place and buying another, the worse a time it is to be a seller on your current property, the better a time it is to be a buyer on a new one, and vice versa. So it would balance out.
That said, you would probably be replacing a mortgage at a lower interest rate on your current property with a mortgage at a higher interest rate on your new property, and that would really eat into all the savings you were hoping for. I would look carefully at that math as you decide what to do.
Talk to a local realtor or two as they will have a better idea about the market. You don't say how long you've had your condo, but for the HOA to almost double is not a good sign and suggests something is wrong with the management. I'd get out.
I had a condo I purchased to live in (my first place) and then rented it out. They kept having special assessments for various things and after a while, I decided I'd had enough of that and sold it. A few months after I sold, they had a dozy of a special assessment (in the millions) and I was so happy I sold when I did.
Purchase price: $400k
Potential sale price: $540-$550k
Remaining principal &balance: $298k
One way to look at it is since you are selling one place and buying another, the worse a time it is to be a seller on your current property, the better a time it is to be a buyer on a new one, and vice versa. So it would balance out.
That said, you would probably be replacing a mortgage at a lower interest rate on your current property with a mortgage at a higher interest rate on your new property, and that would really eat into all the savings you were hoping for. I would look carefully at that math as you decide what to do.
I’d probably sell, then hold on to my equity until I have a good deal… despite the interest rate because I know I can refi later on. My though process is, if I am still able to sell and make a decent profit, I can use the equity for when the market takes a turn… which could be possible in the next year or two?
Talk to a local realtor or two as they will have a better idea about the market. You don't say how long you've had your condo, but for the HOA to almost double is not a good sign and suggests something is wrong with the management. I'd get out.
I had a condo I purchased to live in (my first place) and then rented it out. They kept having special assessments for various things and after a while, I decided I'd had enough of that and sold it. A few months after I sold, they had a dozy of a special assessment (in the millions) and I was so happy I sold when I did.
I've been in my condo for 5 years now.. and my HOA has gone up 5-10% each year since PLUS special assessments.
Talk to a local realtor or two as they will have a better idea about the market. You don't say how long you've had your condo, but for the HOA to almost double is not a good sign and suggests something is wrong with the management. I'd get out.
I had a condo I purchased to live in (my first place) and then rented it out. They kept having special assessments for various things and after a while, I decided I'd had enough of that and sold it. A few months after I sold, they had a dozy of a special assessment (in the millions) and I was so happy I sold when I did.
I've been in my condo for 5 years now.. and my HOA has gone up 5-10% each year since PLUS special assessments.
Then, I'd sell it now. While you may get a lower price in the winter, if you turn around an buy a home you will also be buying it at a lower price. If you can afford it, I'd suggest a single family home with no HOAs.
Talk to a local realtor or two as they will have a better idea about the market. You don't say how long you've had your condo, but for the HOA to almost double is not a good sign and suggests something is wrong with the management. I'd get out.
I had a condo I purchased to live in (my first place) and then rented it out. They kept having special assessments for various things and after a while, I decided I'd had enough of that and sold it. A few months after I sold, they had a dozy of a special assessment (in the millions) and I was so happy I sold when I did.
I've been in my condo for 5 years now.. and my HOA has gone up 5-10% each year since PLUS special assessments.
Then, I'd sell it now. While you may get a lower price in the winter, if you turn around an buy a home you will also be buying it at a lower price. If you can afford it, I'd suggest a single family home with no HOAs.
Eventually I would love to buy more properties, but I know I need to take one step at a time. The next property I hope to buy is one that could set me up for potential cash flow or house hack possibilities. What are your thoughts?
Talk to a local realtor or two as they will have a better idea about the market. You don't say how long you've had your condo, but for the HOA to almost double is not a good sign and suggests something is wrong with the management. I'd get out.
I had a condo I purchased to live in (my first place) and then rented it out. They kept having special assessments for various things and after a while, I decided I'd had enough of that and sold it. A few months after I sold, they had a dozy of a special assessment (in the millions) and I was so happy I sold when I did.
I've been in my condo for 5 years now.. and my HOA has gone up 5-10% each year since PLUS special assessments.
Then, I'd sell it now. While you may get a lower price in the winter, if you turn around an buy a home you will also be buying it at a lower price. If you can afford it, I'd suggest a single family home with no HOAs.
Eventually I would love to buy more properties, but I know I need to take one step at a time. The next property I hope to buy is one that could set me up for potential cash flow or house hack possibilities. What are your thoughts?
Look at a few homes that are for sale in your price range to get an idea of where that gets you. Then I'd probably sell, but only if you can buy another home. While the market is slow in many areas, it will go up again in the spring and the longer you are out of the market, the harder it will be to get back in.
Talk to a local realtor or two as they will have a better idea about the market. You don't say how long you've had your condo, but for the HOA to almost double is not a good sign and suggests something is wrong with the management. I'd get out.
I had a condo I purchased to live in (my first place) and then rented it out. They kept having special assessments for various things and after a while, I decided I'd had enough of that and sold it. A few months after I sold, they had a dozy of a special assessment (in the millions) and I was so happy I sold when I did.
I've been in my condo for 5 years now.. and my HOA has gone up 5-10% each year since PLUS special assessments.
Then, I'd sell it now. While you may get a lower price in the winter, if you turn around an buy a home you will also be buying it at a lower price. If you can afford it, I'd suggest a single family home with no HOAs.
Eventually I would love to buy more properties, but I know I need to take one step at a time. The next property I hope to buy is one that could set me up for potential cash flow or house hack possibilities. What are your thoughts?
Look at a few homes that are for sale in your price range to get an idea of where that gets you. Then I'd probably sell, but only if you can buy another home. While the market is slow in many areas, it will go up again in the spring and the longer you are out of the market, the harder it will be to get back in.
what are the numbers now with you living there? what would they be if you left?
Talk to a local realtor or two as they will have a better idea about the market. You don't say how long you've had your condo, but for the HOA to almost double is not a good sign and suggests something is wrong with the management. I'd get out.
I had a condo I purchased to live in (my first place) and then rented it out. They kept having special assessments for various things and after a while, I decided I'd had enough of that and sold it. A few months after I sold, they had a dozy of a special assessment (in the millions) and I was so happy I sold when I did.
I've been in my condo for 5 years now.. and my HOA has gone up 5-10% each year since PLUS special assessments.
Then, I'd sell it now. While you may get a lower price in the winter, if you turn around an buy a home you will also be buying it at a lower price. If you can afford it, I'd suggest a single family home with no HOAs.
Eventually I would love to buy more properties, but I know I need to take one step at a time. The next property I hope to buy is one that could set me up for potential cash flow or house hack possibilities. What are your thoughts?
Look at a few homes that are for sale in your price range to get an idea of where that gets you. Then I'd probably sell, but only if you can buy another home. While the market is slow in many areas, it will go up again in the spring and the longer you are out of the market, the harder it will be to get back in.
If you rent, you are going to have to move twice (which may be fine); but most landlords will want you to do a 1 year lease. That gives you less flexibility to find a new place and move in.
It's not the best time to sell, but if you have enough equity and expect to sell under market value and still make a profit you should do it. This property is a money drain not an investment.
what are the numbers now with you living there? what would they be if you left?
It's not the best time to sell, but if you have enough equity and expect to sell under market value and still make a profit you should do it. This property is a money drain not an investment.
It depends on your location. In Royal Oak (metro Detroit) I just sold a condo within a week of listing.
We still are short housing here. That HOA is high. If you do sell make sure your listing really hammers in what is included with that fee.
:)
need a few more numbers - need to know what it would rent for when you moved out, and also all expenses. PITI and HOA are just two. Need capex, repairs, vacancy, property management, any utilities you'd remain liable for, etc.
if it would only rent for $2K obviously you'd be CF negative significantly every month since PITI + HOA alone is $2500+.
but maybe it would be $3K. and maybe the HVAC is brand new. or not.
that's what we need to know. we're still not dealing with actual numbers here yet.
need a few more numbers - need to know what it would rent for when you moved out, and also all expenses. PITI and HOA are just two. Need capex, repairs, vacancy, property management, any utilities you'd remain liable for, etc.
if it would only rent for $2K obviously you'd be CF negative significantly every month since PITI + HOA alone is $2500+.
but maybe it would be $3K. and maybe the HVAC is brand new. or not.
that's what we need to know. we're still not dealing with actual numbers here yet.
can you find another tenant to rent out your bedroom? If you can get this to cashflow and buy another primary you can keep building your real estate empire.
can you find another tenant to rent out your bedroom? If you can get this to cashflow and buy another primary you can keep building your real estate empire.
The only issue i'd have with that is now turning it into a rental property.. and then I'd have to deal with all the HOA rules, and the HOA is quite strict.
@Clarissa David if you can rent your bedroom to someone you know, you can still "keep" it as your primary as far as the HOA is concerned.