In a challenging situation & unsure how to proceed with REI

In a challenging situation & unsure how to proceed with REI

Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote

Hi BiggerPockets forum! 

I’m currently in a bit of a challenging situation and am having doubts about real estate investing in general. I’d like to get advice from folks on here to get some expert opinions on how to proceed with my journey.

I currently have 2 SFH rentals in Ohio (one in Dayton and one in Franklin) that I bought pre-pandemic. The one in Franklin, OH has been cash flowing well, good tenants that pay on-time and keep the property in great shape. No concerns here. Mortgage is ~$650 and rent is $1,200, so all-in-all a decent investment.

The other property is in a bit of a rougher neighborhood in Dayton, OH which has been giving me a big headache over the past year. First the tenants stopped paying rent earlier last year, but my PM and the tenants were able to get approved for some kind of county support program that paid rent on behalf of the tenants. When that program ran out the rental income essentially stopped and the PM initiated the eviction process. The tenants were evicted, but left the property in a very bad shape. Repair costs were ~$13k to get the property back into rentable shape. I filed a claim with my property insurance for vandalism, since we had evidence of the tenants damaging the property on their way out, and the insurance approved $2k leaving me with about $11k in repair costs that I'd have to pay out of pocket. My mortgage is $460 and rent is $900. In other words, it would have taken years to recoup those expenses assuming there won't be another hiccup along the way, which seems unlikely given the neighborhood the property is in and the tenant it would attract. 

Net-net, I decided to use the insurance funds to have my PM do basic repairs needed to put the property on the market for sale. Repairs are currently ongoing and I am contemplating what my future in REI will look like going forward. I have decided to keep the other property in Franklin, since there are currently no issues. One challenge I see with my current REI strategy is that 2 properties are simply not enough to have economies of scale to weather issues. Perhaps that requires at least 5 or even 10 rentals to compensate for one bad rental?

Questions for the experts here:

1. Should I sell the problematic property and buy another property in a better area? I'd probably need to buy more to get economies of scale as mentioned above. Also, I am not sure what mortgage rates for investment properties are right now.

2. The other option is to sell the problematic property, abandon REI and use the proceeds to invest in an index fund. In that case I'd be left with one property.

I'd really appreciate some expert opinions on this as I am unsure where to go from here. Thank you in advance! 

1Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Member since 2016 · 680 posts · 644 votes
3y

@Tom Voigt

It sounds like you’ve done well with the property in a better neighborhood. Sell the problem property and 1031 that money into a better neighborhood. It will cost more and may have a lower cash flow potential with the current rates but you’re paying to have less headaches.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Member since 2016 · 680 posts · 644 votes
    3y

    @Tom Voigt

    It sounds like you’ve done well with the property in a better neighborhood. Sell the problem property and 1031 that money into a better neighborhood. It will cost more and may have a lower cash flow potential with the current rates but you’re paying to have less headaches.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 21 votes
    3y

    Tom

    Are you local to the area?  I'm a local investor and agent and would encourage to find some local meet ups (there is one on the 2nd Monday of each month at the chumps in fairborn) if you are local.  I have properties throughout the area and dayton can very much be street by street as far as the quality of rentals and tenants.  Sounds like you are in one of the not so great areas of Dayton.  I would advise selling and transfer those funds to another property.  Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thank you for your response @Dustin Allen!

    This approach sounds like a good one in case I decide to buy more properties. I'm still torn whether REI is the way to go. I understand that this forum is slightly biased in this question. :)


  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Edge:

    Tom

    Are you local to the area?  I'm a local investor and agent and would encourage to find some local meet ups (there is one on the 2nd Monday of each month at the chumps in fairborn) if you are local.  I have properties throughout the area and dayton can very much be street by street as far as the quality of rentals and tenants.  Sounds like you are in one of the not so great areas of Dayton.  I would advise selling and transfer those funds to another property.  Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.


    Thank you, Matthew! I’m an out of state investor, which probably didn’t help during the property location selection process. 

    What is your opinion about Franklin? Is it generally a better area to buy in or also street dependent? Thank you! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 21 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tom Voigt:
    Quote from @Matthew Edge:

    Tom

    Are you local to the area?  I'm a local investor and agent and would encourage to find some local meet ups (there is one on the 2nd Monday of each month at the chumps in fairborn) if you are local.  I have properties throughout the area and dayton can very much be street by street as far as the quality of rentals and tenants.  Sounds like you are in one of the not so great areas of Dayton.  I would advise selling and transfer those funds to another property.  Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.


    Thank you, Matthew! I’m an out of state investor, which probably didn’t help during the property location selection process. 

    What is your opinion about Franklin? Is it generally a better area to buy in or also street dependent? Thank you! 

    Franklin is a decent area.  It still  has its good and not so good pockets (like every city).  Dayton honestly has some great areas as well, it's more just working with someone who knows the area otherwise you can get stuck buying "turnkey" properties from someone that look great on paper but end up turning into nightmares because they are either repaired poorly or are on a street that has abandoned gouses, high crime and high turnover rates.  We honestly do not buy a lot in dayton but we do buy a lot in the cities surrounding dayton like fairborn, riverside, Xenia, Kettering, Belmont, huber heights and other areas around Dayton.  
  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    3y

    @Tom Voigt

    No advice from me on this, but I did want chime in and say that I was already a junkie for investment properties by the time I bought my second.  It's definitely possible that real estate isn't your thing (and there's nothing wrong with that if that's the case).  It's way more work than mutual funds, for sure.

    Best wishes.

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew Edge:
    Quote from @Tom Voigt:
    Quote from @Matthew Edge:

    Tom

    Are you local to the area?  I'm a local investor and agent and would encourage to find some local meet ups (there is one on the 2nd Monday of each month at the chumps in fairborn) if you are local.  I have properties throughout the area and dayton can very much be street by street as far as the quality of rentals and tenants.  Sounds like you are in one of the not so great areas of Dayton.  I would advise selling and transfer those funds to another property.  Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.


    Thank you, Matthew! I’m an out of state investor, which probably didn’t help during the property location selection process. 

    What is your opinion about Franklin? Is it generally a better area to buy in or also street dependent? Thank you! 

    Franklin is a decent area.  It still  has its good and not so good pockets (like every city).  Dayton honestly has some great areas as well, it's more just working with someone who knows the area otherwise you can get stuck buying "turnkey" properties from someone that look great on paper but end up turning into nightmares because they are either repaired poorly or are on a street that has abandoned gouses, high crime and high turnover rates.  We honestly do not buy a lot in dayton but we do buy a lot in the cities surrounding dayton like fairborn, riverside, Xenia, Kettering, Belmont, huber heights and other areas around Dayton.  

     Awesome, thanks! I will look into those neighborhoods. 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Chris John:

    @Tom Voigt

    No advice from me on this, but I did want chime in and say that I was already a junkie for investment properties by the time I bought my second.  It's definitely possible that real estate isn't your thing (and there's nothing wrong with that if that's the case).  It's way more work than mutual funds, for sure.

    Best wishes.


     Thanks, Chris! Appreciate the input. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    You mostly did good in managing your property. One of the most important things to look into REI is the location. It would also help to screen your tenants better to ensure your security. Personally, I'd sell the one in a bad neighborhood and put the money elsewhere where it's safer. Look into Columbus, the price to rent ratio makes it for great investments and there are a lot of neighborhoods that are generally safe for investors. Not to mention the appreciation has been 8% higher than the US national average, because of the high demand for affordable housing.

  • Jordan FioreBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 169 posts · 145 votes
    3y

    I agree with the other comments in this thread. Definitely would be best to sell the rougher neighborhood property and allocate that to something with a lot less headache. Dealing with a headache property can be discouraging and put a bad taste in your mouth overall for REI, but if you keep at it and learn from certain decisions, it will pay off in the long run. Best of luck with everything!

    Home to Investments Group - eXp Realty565 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Steven Foster Wilson:

    You mostly did good in managing your property. One of the most important things to look into REI is the location. It would also help to screen your tenants better to ensure your security. Personally, I'd sell the one in a bad neighborhood and put the money elsewhere where it's safer. Look into Columbus, the price to rent ratio makes it for great investments and there are a lot of neighborhoods that are generally safe for investors. Not to mention the appreciation has been 8% higher than the US national average, because of the high demand for affordable housing.

    Thank you for the feedback, Steven! I'll look into the Columbus, OH market and will take that into account when making a decision on how to proceed. 
  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Jordan Fiore:

    I agree with the other comments in this thread. Definitely would be best to sell the rougher neighborhood property and allocate that to something with a lot less headache. Dealing with a headache property can be discouraging and put a bad taste in your mouth overall for REI, but if you keep at it and learn from certain decisions, it will pay off in the long run. Best of luck with everything!

    Thank you, Jordan! Your input is appreciated. 
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tom Voigt:
    Quote from @Steven Foster Wilson:

    You mostly did good in managing your property. One of the most important things to look into REI is the location. It would also help to screen your tenants better to ensure your security. Personally, I'd sell the one in a bad neighborhood and put the money elsewhere where it's safer. Look into Columbus, the price to rent ratio makes it for great investments and there are a lot of neighborhoods that are generally safe for investors. Not to mention the appreciation has been 8% higher than the US national average, because of the high demand for affordable housing.

    Thank you for the feedback, Steven! I'll look into the Columbus, OH market and will take that into account when making a decision on how to proceed. 

    Happy to help out. If you need any help with it, just let me know. I have a graded map you can use for it. All the best to your real estate journey!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.