Subject To aka Subto - what it is and why it works

Subject To aka Subto - what it is and why it works

Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

I frequently use Subject To when buying a property but I look for these characteristics before I propose it to a seller.

The first thing I do is determine how motivated the seller is. If the seller needs to sell quickly for any number of reasons, chances are better that they will agree to letting you take over their mortgage, pay then some cash and deeding the property over to you so they can move on with life.

I use Subject To in Seattle, WA Phoenix AZ, Austin TX and I’d feel comfortable using it in Columbus OH, Indianapolis IN Huntsville AL and other areas of the mid west and south. I haven’t tried it in L.A. or SoCal because the “buy in” risk is much higher and people with a lot of equity don’t generally agree to a SubTo.

2Reply
59 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tyler LingleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2021 · 440 posts · 292 votes
    3y

    Great tips! A longer days on market property always could be a candidate. Failed flips too! 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    These sellers are typically in distress, what you should ask is how far behind are their payments and what kind of loan they have. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.