How do you do this?

How do you do this?

Garner, NC · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 33 votes

So I called the bank to do a cash out refi. For $150,000 mortgage on my primary. My payments will be $2000 a month with a 6.75 interest rate. I have all this equity & still can’t afford to have my money work for me in other investments. how do you manage this? In this type of market. I’m so frustrated. I know most of you are like it’s only $2000, but to me it’s a lot & can’t afford those types of payments. 

3Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

John CardinalePro Member
Member since 2021 · 76 posts · 44 votes
3y

have you considered a HELOC instead of a cash out mortgage? That's what I've used in the past and the flexibility of it is really nice.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Denver CO · Member since 2019 · 209 posts · 332 votes
    3y

    @Nick Camizzi - Ahh I see.  That's a screaming interest rate.  I have the same problem too on 2 properties.

    In that case I'd go with the HELOC and then move. Yes, the rate would be 11% but the blended rate would be much lower and there's no closing costs and you keep the 2.99%.

    Is moving in the future a possibility? That would be the best option IMO. Now your primary becomes a cash flowing rental with a 2.99% interest rate, fast equity build up bc of the low rate and a $150K HELOC. If the cash flow is high enough it may cover the interest on the HELOC up to a certain amount or at the full $150K.

    Your next house you'll have to come out of pocket on but that's OK. W2 + Door dash, Uber, Lyft, etc... and stack cash while you're living with a 2.99% interest rate and low monthly payment and get to that 5% to 10% needed for the downpayment for house #2. For house number 3, you can use the HELOC funds from the 2.99% interest rate house for some or all of the downpayment. Plus you'll have 1 year of rental income and experience which will help when talking to lenders.

    Right now maybe the best use of the 2.99% interest rate and $150K of equity is your low living costs which gives you a big shovel you can use to stack cash.

  • Garner, NC · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 33 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Marcus R.:

    @Nick Camizzi - Ahh I see.  That's a screaming interest rate.  I have the same problem too on 2 properties.

    In that case I'd go with the HELOC and then move. Yes, the rate would be 11% but the blended rate would be much lower and there's no closing costs and you keep the 2.99%.

    Is moving in the future a possibility? That would be the best option IMO. Now your primary becomes a cash flowing rental with a 2.99% interest rate, fast equity build up bc of the low rate and a $150K HELOC. If the cash flow is high enough it may cover the interest on the HELOC up to a certain amount or at the full $150K.

    Your next house you'll have to come out of pocket on but that's OK. W2 + Door dash, Uber, Lyft, etc... and stack cash while you're living with a 2.99% interest rate and low monthly payment and get to that 5% to 10% needed for the downpayment for house #2. For house number 3, you can use the HELOC funds from the 2.99% interest rate house for some or all of the downpayment. Plus you'll have 1 year of rental income and experience which will help when talking to lenders.

    Right now maybe the best use of the 2.99% interest rate and $150K of equity is your low living costs which gives you a big shovel you can use to stack cash.


    Thank you for your reply I really appreciate that. I will take it in consideration.

  • Garner, NC · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 33 votes
    3y

    I want to thank everyone that gave me advice & their opinions, it very much appreciated. 

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Nick Camizzi

    jumping in here...

    I think the confusion is what is the total loan amount?  You say you are 'pulling out $150k - $200k.'  If you have $100k existing loan, the post above mine calc ~$308k is spot on.  The initial responses to OP would be incorrect since they are working off the incorrect loan amount.

    Can you please clarify?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.