SoCal properties do not cash flow... what to do?

SoCal properties do not cash flow... what to do?

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 7 votes

I have probably looked at hundreds of MLS listings over the past couple of years. Interested in acquiring another residential multi-family (2-4 units). Rarely if ever do I see anything that cash flows. Gross rents - Principle/interest/taxes/insurance generally results in a loss of $1-2k or more monthly.

I own properties in the same area that I purchased many years ago which cash flow remarkably well.  Is now no longer the right time to invest in southern california?  Or am I not looking in the right places for deals?

3Reply
23 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    So Cal might not but Centran IN does lol....give it a look

  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Central

  • Allen DuanPro Member
    Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 590 posts · 463 votes
    2y

    Cash flow ain't the only way to make money with real estate. Look into MTRs if you want cash flow, but LA is none for not being a cash flow market. Anything is possible with the right deal of course.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2023 · 165 posts · 65 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    I have probably looked at hundreds of MLS listings over the past couple of years. Interested in acquiring another residential multi-family (2-4 units). Rarely if ever do I see anything that cash flows. Gross rents - Principle/interest/taxes/insurance generally results in a loss of $1-2k or more monthly.

    I own properties in the same area that I purchased many years ago which cash flow remarkably well.  Is now no longer the right time to invest in southern california?  Or am I not looking in the right places for deals?

    For certain investors, it's acceptable if their investments don't generate immediate cash flow during the initial years, as long as the long-term appreciation increases their wealth.

    For example, if you experience a negative cash flow of $2k annually for six years, that totals $144k However, if your property's value increases by $500k over the same six-year period, you're now $356k wealthier.

    If your primary goal is to build wealth, then enduring a few years of negative cash flow might not be that bad. 

    Another option is to consider long-distance investing and targeting areas with better cash flow potential.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.