Do HOAs ever make exceptions for rentals to family?

Do HOAs ever make exceptions for rentals to family?

Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi! I am interested in buying a condo for my elderly parents to live in. Most of the condos I am interested in are either owner-occupy only or the owner must reside there 1-2 years before renting. Have you heard of HOA boards making exceptions for cases such as mine? I would imagine it's pretty common for parents to buy condos for their kids, or vice versa. Thanks!

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    I THINK this would be allowed, ask.

    You could make them 1% owners and put them on title. Then you’d probably get cheaper property taxes if it was their primary. And you wouldn’t charge them rent, they would gift you “X” dollars per year for being your son. 

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Thanks Bill. I think that's key - ASK.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.