Do you avoid slab houses like the plague?

Do you avoid slab houses like the plague?

Property Manager · Richmond, VA · Member since 2013 · 34 posts · 5 votes

In our area, there is a high volume of undervalued slab homes on the market. After one bad experience in renovating one we have decided to avoid them in the future for the following reasons:

- Difficult to access plumbing and HVAC

- Difficult to wire electrical

- Prone to foundation issues

(Many in our area unfortunately have sustained foundation damage from an unusual earthquake we had here in VA about 5 years ago.)

Bigger Pockets investors - What is your opinion / experiences with renovating and property managing slab houses? Good, bad, avoid like the plague?

0Reply
187 views

Most Popular Reply

Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
12y

we seek out the bad ones and jump for joy when we buy them.

The bigger the headache, the cheaper you buy.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Topsail Beach, NC · Member since 2010 · 33 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @J Scott - I appreciate your response, as I hadn't necessarily considered it to be so easy to just bypass and redirect the supply lines.  In the most recent example, a home built on a slab in 2001, there was a crack in the slab, which made me a little antsy. It wasn't crazy big or anything, but just gave me that uneasiness associated with the unknown. In retrospect, I could definitely see how we could use alternate locations for plumbing if we I discovered challenges due to freezing. 

    Thanks again for your leadership and advice.  I really appreciate it!

    All the best!  Jules

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.