SB-9 California - What if I sell?

SB-9 California - What if I sell?

New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 52 posts · 8 votes

Hello Everyone.  When using SB9 to split a single family zoned lot into two lots there is an occupancy requirement of 3 years from the time of the approval of the urban lot split.  I understand an affidavit stating "I intend to occupy..." must be signed in order to obtain approval.  My question is- what if life circumstances change and I need to sell the owner occupied portion within that 3 year window?  Can I do that?

Additionally, what if I sell the extra lot to an owner occupant and rent out my units.  Is that acceptable?

Any responses from California SB 9 savvy people will be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you in advance.  

-Chris

0Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 25 votes
2y

Hi Chris -  My company specializes in helping homeowners navigate state housing regulations.

If your life circumstances change and you move out before 3 yrs is up, you will not be penalized. The operative word is that you "intend" to live in the property for 3 additional years. It's written that way to prevent institutional scale landlords from taking advantage.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Stanislaus County · Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Hey Chris, 

    I am currently working towards putting a couple deals like this together up north. Message me if you'd like to talk more about it! 

    -Stefan 

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 25 votes
    2y

    Hi Chris -  My company specializes in helping homeowners navigate state housing regulations.

    If your life circumstances change and you move out before 3 yrs is up, you will not be penalized. The operative word is that you "intend" to live in the property for 3 additional years. It's written that way to prevent institutional scale landlords from taking advantage.

  • Member since 2023 · 103 posts · 19 votes
    2y

    If I sell the extra lot to an owner occupant I believe that's acceptable. 

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 52 posts · 8 votes
    2y

    Daniel, thanks very much for the knowledge.   I wish things like this were a little more black and white, but then again what fun would that be.  Appreciate you taking the time.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.