Lease Options in Texas - Rent to Own

Lease Options in Texas - Rent to Own

Phil SalazarPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Conroe, TX · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 7 votes

I am currently under contract with a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house in Cleveland, Texas (Montgomery county)  It is being bought with a Wrap Around Mortgage and I want to sell using a Lease Option Purchase.  I see other new developments in the area offering Lease to Own for 3 yrs.  Can anyone give me a straight answer on doing Lease Options here in Texas?  Others seem to be doing it, how can I?

1Reply
124 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11mo
Quote from @Phil Salazar:

I had a conversation with my RE Attorney and he says, up to 179 days and then you do something with a verbal agreement.    I am scheduled to have a conference call with him this week sometime and I'll let you know what I find out.

What part of Houston are you at?   Are there any Meetups or active REIAs where they meet regularly?  It would be good to mingle and network.

Doing Lease Options is fine until they sue you. You'd lose. By the way, I don't know which 
RE Attorney would say "then you do something with a verbal agreement." Pardon my French, but that attorney is crazy. I truly think you misunderstood what he said.

Here is what the law states
Property Code Sections 5.069 and 5.070. The requirements state that:

  • A seller must provide the buyer with a survey that is not older than a year
  • There should be no “restrictive covenants, easements, or other title exceptions or encumbrances that prohibit construction of a house on the property”
  • There should be a notice advising the buyer to obtain a title abstract and seek the advice of an attorney on the validity of the contract before signing
  • Seller must provide the buyer with copies of restrictive covenants, liens and easements affecting the title of the property
  • Seller must disclose the condition of the property to the buyer and more

Do us a favor and read it for yourself to be sure

Prop. Code Section 5.069

https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._prop._code_section_5....

Prop. Code Section 5.070

https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._prop._code_section_5....

Prop. Code Section 5.072
Oral Agreements Prohibited

https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._prop._code_section_5....

Lease-Options are Executory Contracts

Executory contracts are not limited to the classic contract for deed. Leases with an option to purchase are also defined as executory contracts:

Prop. Code Sec. 5.062(a)(2). [Lease with an Option to Purchase]. An option to purchase real property that includes or is combined or executed concurrently with a residential lease agreement, together with the lease, is considered an executory contract for conveyance of real property.

There's more. but suffice it to say, someone misunderstood the law

"Pretending that an executory contract is something else by renaming it will fool no one, particularly after the document is deconstructed and scrutinized in court. It is astonishingly difficult to deceive a jury of six or twelve of one’s peers.

A judge or jury may even be angry with a seller who tries to pull a fast one with overly-clever conveyance documents that pretend to be something other than an executory contract—and may therefore be more inclined to consider a finding of fraud and treble damages plus attorney fees."

 In other words "be careful".

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Daniel TanasaBusiness Member
    Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 351 posts · 174 votes
    11mo

    Hello Phil, 

    As far as I know, in Texas you can only do Lease option up to 6 months at a time. 

    Good luck! Let us know how you end up proceeding. 

  • Phil SalazarPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Conroe, TX · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 7 votes
    11mo

    I had a conversation with my RE Attorney and he says, up to 179 days and then you do something with a verbal agreement.    I am scheduled to have a conference call with him this week sometime and I'll let you know what I find out.

    What part of Houston are you at?   Are there any Meetups or active REIAs where they meet regularly?  It would be good to mingle and network.

    • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Phil Salazar:

      I had a conversation with my RE Attorney and he says, up to 179 days and then you do something with a verbal agreement.    I am scheduled to have a conference call with him this week sometime and I'll let you know what I find out.

      What part of Houston are you at?   Are there any Meetups or active REIAs where they meet regularly?  It would be good to mingle and network.

      Doing Lease Options is fine until they sue you. You'd lose. By the way, I don't know which 
      RE Attorney would say "then you do something with a verbal agreement." Pardon my French, but that attorney is crazy. I truly think you misunderstood what he said.

      Here is what the law states
      Property Code Sections 5.069 and 5.070. The requirements state that:

      • A seller must provide the buyer with a survey that is not older than a year
      • There should be no “restrictive covenants, easements, or other title exceptions or encumbrances that prohibit construction of a house on the property”
      • There should be a notice advising the buyer to obtain a title abstract and seek the advice of an attorney on the validity of the contract before signing
      • Seller must provide the buyer with copies of restrictive covenants, liens and easements affecting the title of the property
      • Seller must disclose the condition of the property to the buyer and more

      Do us a favor and read it for yourself to be sure

      Prop. Code Section 5.069

      https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._prop._code_section_5....

      Prop. Code Section 5.070

      https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._prop._code_section_5....

      Prop. Code Section 5.072
      Oral Agreements Prohibited

      https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._prop._code_section_5....

      Lease-Options are Executory Contracts

      Executory contracts are not limited to the classic contract for deed. Leases with an option to purchase are also defined as executory contracts:

      Prop. Code Sec. 5.062(a)(2). [Lease with an Option to Purchase]. An option to purchase real property that includes or is combined or executed concurrently with a residential lease agreement, together with the lease, is considered an executory contract for conveyance of real property.

      There's more. but suffice it to say, someone misunderstood the law

      "Pretending that an executory contract is something else by renaming it will fool no one, particularly after the document is deconstructed and scrutinized in court. It is astonishingly difficult to deceive a jury of six or twelve of one’s peers.

      A judge or jury may even be angry with a seller who tries to pull a fast one with overly-clever conveyance documents that pretend to be something other than an executory contract—and may therefore be more inclined to consider a finding of fraud and treble damages plus attorney fees."

       In other words "be careful".

    • Daniel TanasaBusiness Member
      Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 351 posts · 174 votes
      11mo
      Quote from @Phil Salazar:

      I had a conversation with my RE Attorney and he says, up to 179 days and then you do something with a verbal agreement.    I am scheduled to have a conference call with him this week sometime and I'll let you know what I find out.

      What part of Houston are you at?   Are there any Meetups or active REIAs where they meet regularly?  It would be good to mingle and network.

      Hey Phil,

      I am in Houston. I am part of the Greater Houston REIA, and we have a monthly meeting second Saturday of the month, and 6 other focus groups that meet over the week (I lead the Landlord Forcus Group). Two months ago we had Ron LeGrand at the monthly meeting and he talked about lease options and how you can do them legally in TX.

      You should swing by if you want to network with people that are doing it. DM me if you want details.

      Good Luck! 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Phil Salazar:

    I am currently under contract with a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom house in Cleveland, Texas (Montgomery county)  It is being bought with a Wrap Around Mortgage and I want to sell using a Lease Option Purchase.  I see other new developments in the area offering Lease to Own for 3 yrs.  Can anyone give me a straight answer on doing Lease Options here in Texas?  Others seem to be doing it, how can I?


     I’m following….

    I didn’t go to the trouble of repeating what I’ve heard prior to only options in Texas…too many people are authorities on this subject and actually they’re just repeating what they heard. 
    John Jackson, which I’m not sure if he’s still doing them has a whole training on how to do lease options in Texas. He knows all about them and if you don’t believe me, just ask him. :-)
    Like you had mentioned there are companies offering lease options so people are still doing them It appears. Whether they have a special workaround would be good to know.

  • Phil SalazarPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Conroe, TX · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 7 votes
    11mo

    Yes, I will definitely swing by and would enjoy checking out the other focus groups as well.  Thank you for the invite!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.