Estimating insurance during high level deal analysis

Estimating insurance during high level deal analysis

Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Been analyzing deals fairly regularly for a while. Still haven't signed my first deal. One place that I feel my analysis is soft is estimating landlord insurance. Anyone have best practices to share? So far, I've used Zillow's estimate.

0Reply
54 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9mo

    @Scott Smith

    call an insurance broker

    and/or

    find local investors and ask what they pay

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9mo

    Thanks! I'll call a broker and see if they can recommend a correlation liken % of rent or purchase price.

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9mo

    Hi Scott,

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! I'm Mo, a real estate broker and investor as well. That's right — the most accurate way to estimate insurance on a rental property is to get quotes from experienced insurance agents, especially ones who work with investors.

    It also helps to understand what actually drives insurance costs, because that lets you underwrite more confidently and avoid surprises. Premiums are influenced by factors like location and local risk, age and condition of property, coverage options, etc.

    Good luck, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.