What do you all think about Auburn Ca

What do you all think about Auburn Ca

Member since 2026 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hi everyone,
I'm a newer investor and have been looking closely at the Auburn, CA 95602 area, specifically Auburn Greens HOA #1.

What's catching my attention is that prices are still under $250k, while rents are around $1,800, which seems like a strong rent-to-price ratio for Northern California. The HOA is $297/month, appears well-managed with healthy reserves and they fix everything walls out and insurance runs roughly $600/year.

The complex is right next to a large park, and Auburn itself seems like a really nice city with a charming Old Town area. It also has great access to both I-80 and Highway 49 running through it, making it easy to get to Sacramento and surrounding towns.

From what I can tell, this area seems a bit overlooked compared to other parts of Northern California, which could mean good upside over time.

Does this community look like a good entry-level investment? Any pros or cons I should be aware of?

Appreciate any feedback.

1Reply
121 views

Most Popular Reply

Gordon CuffePro Member
Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
8mo

@Ian Mc namara I used to live in Auburn so I am familiar with the greens. I challenge is the hoa lowers your monthly cash flow. If you put 20% down then a 200 mortgage payment is $1231.0 per month not including taxes and insurance. taxes would be another 225 per month . Your taxes, insurance, and how payment would be just at 1800 per month. Can you do minor remodeling?  I know of actual homes that are off market in the low 300k range. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Rocklin, CA · Member since 2020 · 221 posts · 82 votes
    8mo

    I will stay away from HOA properties and I'm in Rocklin area.

  • Gordon CuffePro Member
    Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
    8mo

    @Ian Mc namara I used to live in Auburn so I am familiar with the greens. I challenge is the hoa lowers your monthly cash flow. If you put 20% down then a 200 mortgage payment is $1231.0 per month not including taxes and insurance. taxes would be another 225 per month . Your taxes, insurance, and how payment would be just at 1800 per month. Can you do minor remodeling?  I know of actual homes that are off market in the low 300k range. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2021 · 517 posts · 408 votes
    8mo

    Hi Ian, I'm a local broker and investor based in Sacramento. Working with some clients in Auburn right now, specifically for STR investment to take advantage of last year's tax legislation (bonus depreciation).

    Your calculation is correct; the price:rent ratio is more attractive -- but buying an SFR in an HOA as an investment is almost never sensible. Multifamily is like wholesale and SFR is like retail, is the easiest way to frame it. And while Auburn is very charming and surrounded by natural scenery, it's still just a sleepy suburb. No industry, no engine for growth.

    My advice is to look at urban cores like Sacramento and invest where the action is. Parking your money in an SFR and bleeding every month isn't gonna give you an attractive return.

  • Bradley BuxtonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · NV · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    8mo

    @Ian Mc namara

    I agree with @Noah Laker that the fundamentals of Auburn are not driving housing demand. Sacramento is not far, but the commute traffic and the country lifestyle is not for everyone. Many people move to Auburn to get more land and spread out. Other areas that might be better are Newcastle, Rocklin, and West Sac if you want to stay in your backyard. Further up the road is Reno, NV, where you get out-of-state tax advantages. If you are looking at Auburn's smaller properties, try to find something near the old town,or that is walkable and without an HOA.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Those aren't SFH, they're old McKeons. Heavy DD and conservative underwriting highly advised. BTW im pretty sure this is the HOA that, in 2018, required residents to leave their garage doors open all day to verify garages weren't sublet.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2023 · 189 posts · 88 votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Ian Mc namara:

    Hi everyone,
    I'm a newer investor and have been looking closely at the Auburn, CA 95602 area, specifically Auburn Greens HOA #1.

    What's catching my attention is that prices are still under $250k, while rents are around $1,800, which seems like a strong rent-to-price ratio for Northern California. The HOA is $297/month, appears well-managed with healthy reserves and they fix everything walls out and insurance runs roughly $600/year.

    The complex is right next to a large park, and Auburn itself seems like a really nice city with a charming Old Town area. It also has great access to both I-80 and Highway 49 running through it, making it easy to get to Sacramento and surrounding towns.

    From what I can tell, this area seems a bit overlooked compared to other parts of Northern California, which could mean good upside over time.

    Does this community look like a good entry-level investment? Any pros or cons I should be aware of?

    Appreciate any feedback.


     Hey Ian, I am a local investor as well. 

    The rental numbers make sense. But with an HOA it limits what kind of rental income you can collect. And Aburn doesn't have as much traffic as the core Sacramento areas. So all though there is higher rent ratios, you may find less demand.

  • Scott ScovilleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 497 posts · 272 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Ian Mc namara:

    Hi everyone,
    I'm a newer investor and have been looking closely at the Auburn, CA 95602 area, specifically Auburn Greens HOA #1.

    What's catching my attention is that prices are still under $250k, while rents are around $1,800, which seems like a strong rent-to-price ratio for Northern California. The HOA is $297/month, appears well-managed with healthy reserves and they fix everything walls out and insurance runs roughly $600/year.

    The complex is right next to a large park, and Auburn itself seems like a really nice city with a charming Old Town area. It also has great access to both I-80 and Highway 49 running through it, making it easy to get to Sacramento and surrounding towns.

    From what I can tell, this area seems a bit overlooked compared to other parts of Northern California, which could mean good upside over time.

    Does this community look like a good entry-level investment? Any pros or cons I should be aware of?

    Appreciate any feedback.


    Hey Ian, I'm not a huge fan of HOA's, due to special assessments, etc., but it depends on your real estate strategy. Auburn is a bit untapped in the investor market, but you do see more people moving up the hill. I do worry about insurance costs, fire, etc. Curious to hear how this goes for you.

    Scoville Realty & Investments LLC
  • Realtor · OH · Member since 2026 · 122 posts · 77 votes
    7mo

    This Auburn Greens HOA #1 spot definitely has some appealing numbers for Northern California — sub-$250k units with $1,800 rent gives a decent rent-to-price ratio, especially with HOA covering major repairs and walls-out coverage. That $297/month HOA is higher than nothing, but if they handle most maintenance and the reserves are healthy, it offsets a lot of headaches.

    Location-wise, being next to a park and near Old Town Auburn is a plus for tenant appeal, and access to I-80/Highway 49 is strong for commuters. The upside may be solid if the area stays overlooked, but keep in mind Northern California appreciation can be uneven — smaller, overlooked cities sometimes lag larger metro markets.

    Watch out for HOA rules, restrictions on rentals, and any special assessments down the line. Also, check historical occupancy and turnover — even well-managed HOAs can hide quirks in tenant demand. Overall, it could be a good entry-level investment, but make sure to run your numbers with conservative vacancy and maintenance assumptions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.