Real Estate Agent · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2014 · 529 posts · 217 votes
Today is my home inspection on my first property. I am going with the inspector but I am curious, what questions should I ask him? What are things that I should be concerned about?
This is my first deal and I have no experience, so any advice would be great!
Real Estate Consultant · Lansing, MI · Member since 2011 · 356 posts · 306 votes
12y
Any good inspector will go over everything with you, likely as he/she moves from system to system. He should be thorough with his explanation, which may bring up questions you hadn't thought of. Off the top of my head, you'll want to know about pests (termites and carpenter ants most specifically) and if there is any sign of damage. The foundation has potential for being a huge expense if there are large cracks, bulging, or signs of major settling. The other systems that are expensive to replace might be areas of concern; mainly the furnace, plumbing, roof, and electrical. Since this is your first, as the inspector to explain anything you don't understand, and by the time you get to your 5th, you'll be pretty well versed in what you're looking for and what's done right vs. what's not.
Is this going to be your primary residence or an investment?
Real Estate Agent · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2014 · 529 posts · 217 votes
12y
It's actually triplex that will be owener occupied.
The inspector basically did everything you said. Nothing too bad came up in the report which is good, however I just found out that I may have to add an extra exit to the top unit apartment for insurane reasons. I'm not sure how much that will cost me...
Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 307 posts · 170 votes
12y
You shouldnt have to ask him anything. He should report back to you all the major systems in the home ect. If you know of a weakness or a spot of concern alert him to it. Its pretty straight forward.