questions to ask an inspector?

3 Replies

Today is my home inspection on my first property. I am going with the inspector but I am curious, what questions should I ask him? What are things that I should be concerned about?

This is my first deal and I have no experience, so any advice would be great!

Thanks in ahead

Any good inspector will go over everything with you, likely as he/she moves from system to system. He should be thorough with his explanation, which may bring up questions you hadn't thought of. Off the top of my head, you'll want to know about pests (termites and carpenter ants most specifically) and if there is any sign of damage. The foundation has potential for being a huge expense if there are large cracks, bulging, or signs of major settling. The other systems that are expensive to replace might be areas of concern; mainly the furnace, plumbing, roof, and electrical. Since this is your first, as the inspector to explain anything you don't understand, and by the time you get to your 5th, you'll be pretty well versed in what you're looking for and what's done right vs. what's not.

Is this going to be your primary residence or an investment?

It's actually triplex that will be owener occupied.

The inspector basically did everything you said. Nothing too bad came up in the report which is good, however I just found out that I may have to add an extra exit to the top unit apartment for insurane reasons. I'm not sure how much that will cost me...

You shouldnt have to ask him anything. He should report back to you all the major systems in the home ect. If you know of a weakness or a spot of concern alert him to it. Its pretty straight forward.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.