I have been working in Real Estate Investment since October and have made a few sales so far! One thing I am facing daily is buyers giving me their buy box and when I have something that fits, they tell me a completely different story. It's not about the rehab, either. How do you get someone to tell you what they are looking for? What do you do to get past the "if it pencils" phrase and they do not explain further? Any help or advice would be great!
Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
7mo
It sounds like you may be working with a lot of new investors in which case, you have to be willing to educate them or walk away and focus on more decisive buyers.
Property Manager · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 14 votes
7mo
I don't know exactly where you are running into issues. I find that investors are much less picky than home buyers. If it makes market rent now and it is selling at market value (cap rate) then their is no reason to say no. Maybe work on getting them to yes?
Investors I work with don't waste time looking for a deal, they are interested in leveraging a down payment to collect rents on a property and either they want cash flow or they want equity.
Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7mo
This is the nature of the beast. I have a listing where it met all of their criteria but needed certain down payment and monthly payments and I was able to structure the deal and they still didn't bite. Chances are they are on the fence about buying.
What you could do is send them a recap email of what they are looking for. So then when something changes you can ask them and reference the email.
I would also set realistic expectations. One of the hardest parts about our job right now is we have to combat against these "gurus" that are saying there are remarkable deals out there and these wild structures that if we encourage some of these as agents we can be in hot water.
I would also use your past clients or personal investments as case studies on why something does and doesn't work. Most of my investor clients are house hackers so I can lean on my past experience as a 2x house hacker to say "this would do well as a house hack because of a, b, and c and that's what I did for my property."
I have been working in Real Estate Investment since October and have made a few sales so far! One thing I am facing daily is buyers giving me their buy box and when I have something that fits, they tell me a completely different story. It's not about the rehab, either. How do you get someone to tell you what they are looking for? What do you do to get past the "if it pencils" phrase and they do not explain further? Any help or advice would be great!
I have experienced some buyers not wanting to give too many details because they are afraid of missing out on a property that could fit their criteria. Sometimes they have a main buy box with a few subjective parameters that vary based on age, area, condition, etc, so they would rather see anything within the basic box as opposed to ruling out everything. Maybe the rents aren't high enough to get the return they need. Maybe property taxes or HOA are too high. Or they don't like the neighbors. Or don't like the empty lot behind or across from the property. If you are looking to market specifically for certain buyers, then maybe try to pin them down at a lunch or coffee meeting. Let them know you are spending money to produce inventory that is perfect for them, and you need all the details. Personally, as a buyer, I give a lot of detail, but I also let my sources know which parameters are subjective or have gray areas. We have hard-lined requirements that must be met, but we also have some that can bend a little depending on the circumstance. I give more detail to my smaller sources and less detail to the bigger companies that produce more inventory that appeases the masses. Hope this helps a little.
Realtor · OH · Member since 2026 · 122 posts · 77 votes
7mo
Matthew — oh man, I feel you. That’s one of the most frustrating parts of working with investors, especially newer ones.
The thing is, most buyers don’t actually know what they want until they see it. “If it pencils” becomes a catch-all because they’re scared of committing to specifics, or they’re still figuring out their numbers and risk tolerance.
What’s worked for me: ask super specific, scenario-based questions. Stuff like:
“Would you pay X for a 3-unit with Y rent, even if it needs Z in repairs?”
“If the numbers are slightly below your target but the location is strong, is that okay?”
“What’s your absolute deal breaker — cap rate, condition, or neighborhood?”
The goal is to get them talking beyond generalities. Also, show them comps and run a few real-life examples. Once they see numbers and options side by side, the vague “if it pencils” usually turns into concrete preferences.
Honestly, it’s a patience game. The more specific you make your questions, the more honest answers you get.
Investor · MI · Member since 2026 · 17 posts · 4 votes
7mo
Because humans are emotional beings. You are asking them about their logical buy box, not what will help them sleep better at night. Find out what they are really looking for, not just what mattress they want to stuff their cash into
Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 605 votes
7mo
It sounds like you may be working with a lot of new investors in which case, you have to be willing to educate them or walk away and focus on more decisive buyers.