New to Real Estate · Bethesda · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 5 votes
Hi I have one single family rental property in Batimore County. i am looking to buy a multi family property in the Dc, Maryland, Virgina area. I dont have alot of money for a deposit. I have seen some properties on the market but not in areas i woud want to live. Is there a way to find opff market properties where the price is negotiable?
Also if anyone has information on upcoming areas in the DMV worth looking into please share some advice.
Hi I have one single family rental property in Batimore County. i am looking to buy a multi family property in the Dc, Maryland, Virgina area. I dont have alot of money for a deposit. I have seen some properties on the market but not in areas i woud want to live. Is there a way to find opff market properties where the price is negotiable?
Also if anyone has information on upcoming areas in the DMV worth looking into please share some advice.
Off MLS properties arnt going to be that much cheaper than on MLS properties. DC itself is a buyers market though so you can make offers under list.
Hi I have one single family rental property in Batimore County. i am looking to buy a multi family property in the Dc, Maryland, Virgina area. I dont have alot of money for a deposit. I have seen some properties on the market but not in areas i woud want to live. Is there a way to find opff market properties where the price is negotiable?
Also if anyone has information on upcoming areas in the DMV worth looking into please share some advice.
Off MLS properties arnt going to be that much cheaper than on MLS properties. DC itself is a buyers market though so you can make offers under list.
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
7mo
DMV is a strong market for multifamily -- good job growth, stable rents, solid demand. But you're right that finding a good deal off-market is the move, especially if you're capital-constrained.
The good news: you don't need a ton of down payment for multifamily if you're using conventional financing on a 2-4 unit. 15-20% down gets you in the door. The real constraint is your cash reserves -- lenders want to see you have money left after closing. Off-market deals usually mean better negotiating room on price, which means less capital required to hit your returns.
Where to find off-market multis: wholesalers, local property management companies (they know which landlords are tired), contractor networks, tax assessor records for high-equity properties, and driving neighborhoods you like. Someone's always looking to exit. Most properties don't have to go on MLS.
On upcoming areas in DMV: Silver Spring's had tremendous growth. National Harbor is stabilizing. Southeast D.C. is gentrifying fast. Prince George's County has solid appreciation over the last 5 years. But honestly, demographic growth is in the outer rings -- Loudoun, Frederick County. Different risk profile, but better cap rates.
How much capital do you actually have to work with for down payment?
Hi I have one single family rental property in Batimore County. i am looking to buy a multi family property in the Dc, Maryland, Virgina area. I dont have alot of money for a deposit. I have seen some properties on the market but not in areas i woud want to live. Is there a way to find opff market properties where the price is negotiable?
Also if anyone has information on upcoming areas in the DMV worth looking into please share some advice.
I get it—DC/MD/VA can be tough with high prices and limited inventory, especially for first-time multi-family buyers. If you're open to out-of-state options, places in the Midwest have tons of off-market duplexes and small multis where you can negotiate hard, get strong cash flow, and start building a portfolio without needing a huge deposit. It's a great way to get your feet wet, see real returns, and learn the ropes without fighting constant bidding wars in a hot market.
Investor · MI · Member since 2026 · 17 posts · 4 votes
7mo
Hi Nokukhanya,
It's not about an area you would like to live in, it's about an area you are willing to invest (blood, sweat, tears... and money) in.
As far as off market searching goes, there is always opportunity it just depends on how much. When I first wanted to get into investing, I used programs like propstream to find local data for properties that matched my needs. From there I sent them a letter. A few other things you can do are cold call, and network. Shopping off market is basically a sales role, with yourself as the end buyer.
Most all properties have negotiable prices, including on market
New to Real Estate · Bethesda · Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 5 votes
7mo
Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the guidance on the potential areas. My thinkking was that you need to be close to where you make the investment. But it sounds like that is not always necessary?
Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the guidance on the potential areas. My thinkking was that you need to be close to where you make the investment. But it sounds like that is not always necessary?
No, its not always necessary. It is really up to you and your goals.
A word of caution though, if you are investing in a property that is 60+ minutes away from you (or whatever amount of time you are willing to drive), you are going to want a trustworthy partner in the area to help you. There is nothing worse than having an hour+ drive to show a property to a potential resident or meet with a contractor/do a repair. Your time is - likely - better spent elsewhere
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
7mo
Nokukhanya, I get it -- the DMV market is expensive and inventory is thin. But trying to find an off-market multi in DC/MD/VA without serious capital (which it sounds like you're working with limited funds) is going to be frustrating. Off-market deals go to investor groups and operators who have 50+ units, not first-time multi buyers. The realtor's going to want listed inventory because that's where the commissions are.
Here's what I'd actually do in your situation: buy one out-of-state duplex or triplex in the midwest or southeast for 20-180k where you can get 8-12% cash flow. Rents in the DMV just don't support that kind of return relative to purchase price right now. After 18 months of managing that property successfully, you'll have a track record, experience with multi-family operations, and cash flow that lets you save more for a DMV down payment. Then the DMV play makes sense. You're not buying blind in an expensive market -- you've proven you can manage properties and you've got financial runway.
What's your actual down payment capacity right now -- are we talking 10%, 20%, or something different?
Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
7mo
DC/Maryland real estate is expensive and doesn't like small down payments. Lenders get picky, sellers don't want to negotiate in a tight market, and honestly, it's a tough place to start multi-family investing. You're fighting the market, which sucks.
Here's what works: go out of market. I know that's not what you want to hear, but a 5% down payment on a 00K duplex in Charlotte or Indianapolis gets you way further than fighting to scrape together a 20% down on a 00K condo in DC. You get cash flow, you get negotiating power, and you learn the business. After you've done 2-3 deals out of market, you'll have the equity and experience to come back to DC/Maryland if you want.
Off-market deals in DMV exist, but they're not cheaper -- sellers in that market know what they've got. Your limited down payment puts you at a disadvantage unless you find a motivated seller with problems (distressed owner, estate liquidation, landlord burnout). That's possible, but it's slower and harder than going to a better market.
What's holding you to the DMV specifically? Is it your job, family, wanting to be close to your current rental? That matters because it changes whether this is even the right strategy for you.
Specialist · Member since 2026 · 53 posts · 25 votes
7mo
In the DC / Maryland / Virginia region, low inventory and high price pressure make it tough to find strong numbers — especially with limited capital.
I’d be careful assuming off-market automatically means negotiable or discounted. A lot of off-market deals still need to make sense to the seller, and in competitive areas they’re often priced with full awareness of value.
If capital is tight, the bigger constraint may not be finding an “upcoming area,” but whether the deal can comfortably support debt and reserves. In higher-cost markets, small multifamily often requires either strong income, strong equity, or patience.
Before chasing off-market, I’d stress-test whether an on-market deal would even work with conservative assumptions. If none do, that may be a signal about timing or capital stack rather than sourcing method.
Real Estate Agent · MD · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 5 votes
6mo
Hi NP. Househacking a small multifamily (2-4 units) is a great idea since you mentioned you don’t have a lot of money for a deposit. Qualifying for owner-occupied financing is a great benefit to be able to tap into.
It’s definitely possible to find deals on or off the MLS. Off-market properties often come through networking, agents, wholesalers, probate situations, or owners who may be open to selling but haven’t listed yet, which can sometimes allow more room for negotiation.
How familiar are you with the DMV? If you’re considering DC, I’d spend some time getting to know the neighborhoods first—some areas are up-and-coming but can still vary block by block, especially if you plan to live there.
I also agree with others about long-distance investing. I own a few properties about three hours away from where I live, and with the right team in place it’s very doable - that does not mean it is headache-free, but it can be profitable and achievable.
If you’d like, I’d be happy to help you look for small multifamily opportunities in Maryland and I can keep an eye on off-market deals. Feel free to reach out. Best of luck on your journey! Taking the first step is a huge deal.