How do you research a property before offering? Looking to learn from experienced inv

How do you research a property before offering? Looking to learn from experienced inv

Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes

Relatively new to investing and trying to understand

how experienced investors actually approach property

research before making an offer.

I've been doing a lot of reading but I learn better

from hearing how real people actually work.

1. What does your pre-offer research process look

like start to finish?

2. How long does a thorough analysis take you?

3. What data sources or tools do you rely on most?

4. What's the part of the process you find most

painful or unreliable — the thing you wish was easier?

5. Have you ever made a costly mistake because

something in your research process broke down?

Appreciate any honest answers — especially from

people who've been doing this a long time.

0Reply
253 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7mo
Quote from @Jwala Nallamala:

Relatively new to investing and trying to understand

how experienced investors actually approach property

research before making an offer.

I've been doing a lot of reading but I learn better

from hearing how real people actually work.

1. What does your pre-offer research process look

like start to finish?

2. How long does a thorough analysis take you?

3. What data sources or tools do you rely on most?

4. What's the part of the process you find most

painful or unreliable — the thing you wish was easier?

5. Have you ever made a costly mistake because

something in your research process broke down?

Appreciate any honest answers — especially from

people who've been doing this a long time.

I use a spreadsheet that I wrote. Enter a few figures and it tells you things. In fact, I have a list of things that I look at.
See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Jwala Nallamala:

    Relatively new to investing and trying to understand

    how experienced investors actually approach property

    research before making an offer.

    I've been doing a lot of reading but I learn better

    from hearing how real people actually work.

    1. What does your pre-offer research process look

    like start to finish?

    2. How long does a thorough analysis take you?

    3. What data sources or tools do you rely on most?

    4. What's the part of the process you find most

    painful or unreliable — the thing you wish was easier?

    5. Have you ever made a costly mistake because

    something in your research process broke down?

    Appreciate any honest answers — especially from

    people who've been doing this a long time.

    I use a spreadsheet that I wrote. Enter a few figures and it tells you things. In fact, I have a list of things that I look at.
  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 854 votes
    7mo

    Hi @Jwala Nallamala. For me, pre-offer research starts with a quick "deal killer" scan: rents vs. price, neighborhood quality, taxes, insurance, and realistic repair costs. If it passes that test, I'll run a deeper analysis: verify actual rents (not just listings), pull comps (sold, not active), estimate CapEx (roof, HVAC, foundation, sewer), confirm zoning, and stress test the numbers with higher vacancy, maintenance, and interest rates. If it still works conservatively, then I consider an offer.

    A thorough analysis on a standard rental might take 30–60 minutes once you’re experienced. Early on, it can take a few hours, that’s normal. Speed comes from pattern recognition.

    Data sources I lean on most: sold comps (MLS or Redfin), rent comps (Rentometer and Facebook Marketplace), county tax records, FEMA flood maps, and calling a local insurance broker for a quick quote. Nothing replaces talking to local property managers either.

    The most painful part? Reliable rent and repair estimates. Listing rents are often inflated, and rehab budgets are almost always underestimated by newer investors. My biggest mistakes came from being too optimistic on repairs and assuming appreciation would bail me out. Now I underwrite for boring, durable cash flow and treat appreciation as a bonus.

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7mo

    First look at photos, price, and zip code. If it's worth diving deeper I'll look at comps and rent. Pull disclosures if there's any. After crunch numbers and view if it's close. There's many little details but it's based on the numbers. 

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Hey Jwala,

    A pre-offer search is really just a quick scan to see if a property is worth pursuing seriously. At this stage, I’m mainly looking for potential deal killers:

    1. Price vs. sold comps – Does the market support the asking price?
    2. Rent comps – Are projected rents realistic for the area?
    3. Neighborhood context – Safety, amenities, schools, and tenant demand.
    4. Physical red flags – Roof, foundation, or deferred maintenance visible in photos.
    5. Property taxes and zoning – Do they materially impact the numbers?

    If it passes this initial filter, then it’s worth diving deeper into full underwriting, contractor walkthroughs, and formal due diligence.

    How long it takes really depends on your experience and the quality of your team. One of the biggest challenges can be delays when people don’t communicate quickly — that can make even simple analyses drag out.

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Jwala Nallamala:

    Relatively new to investing and trying to understand

    how experienced investors actually approach property

    research before making an offer.

    I've been doing a lot of reading but I learn better

    from hearing how real people actually work.

    1. What does your pre-offer research process look

    like start to finish?

    2. How long does a thorough analysis take you?

    3. What data sources or tools do you rely on most?

    4. What's the part of the process you find most

    painful or unreliable — the thing you wish was easier?

    5. Have you ever made a costly mistake because

    something in your research process broke down?

    Appreciate any honest answers — especially from

    people who've been doing this a long time.

    Frankly using advice off of a website doesn't cover all of the contingencies or exceptions or answer all of the "on the moment questions". It's a good place to start, but I'd recommend finding someone to help you on the first few.
  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Solid questions. I've run through hundreds of deals over the years, and your instinct to ask is right -- the process really matters.

    I start with what I call the "no thank you test." I need to hit a specific return threshold before I waste another hour on it. For flips, that's 20% minimum ROI after all costs. For rentals, I need to see year-one cash flow of at least 8-10% on my invested capital. If the numbers don't work at face value, they won't work after digging. That five-minute screen saves me from analysis paralysis.

    If it passes that, I do three things: verify rents locally (not Zillow, but actual rent rolls and lease comps), pull sold comparables (not active listings -- sold deals in the last 90 days), and get a hard number on repairs. I call contractors, walk the property myself, and don't rely on agent estimates. I've seen rehab budgets off by 30% or more on both sides. I also pull the actual tax records to understand expense history and the assessed value. That tells me how the county sees the property.

    Your biggest mistake risk at this stage is being too optimistic on the exit side. New investors think "I'll flip this in 6 months" but don't account for market timing, carrying costs, or sale mechanics. I underwrite conservatively now and treat upside as a bonus.

    What property type are you focused on first -- single family flips, rentals, or something else?

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    If you're flipping, the research process changes. You still need comps and rent data, but the critical parts are different. I'm looking at ARV first -- what will this sell for after full renovation? Then I work backward to max offer. If I can't buy at 70% of ARV minus holding costs, I pass immediately.

    The part that kills new flippers is underestimating rehab. You walk through a house once and think you know what it needs. You don't. I always get a contractor to walk every property before I offer. That costs 500 bucks and has saved me thousands. They catch things you miss -- foundation issues, roof age, electrical panel capacity for modern loads. Listing photos and a 20-minute showing can't replace boots on the ground with someone who actually knows construction.

    I also pull permit history from the county. If someone did unpermitted work or there's a history of back-and-forth inspections, that's a red flag. And I talk to neighbors before offering if I can. You'd be shocked how much they'll tell you about flooding, neighborhood trends, problem tenants in rentals, etc.

    One thing I do differently from pure rental analysis: I verify exit strategy before bidding. Where will this sell? Is it a buyer-friendly property in a neighborhood where people actually want to live? Or is it a cash flow play that'll be hard to move? That changes my bid price significantly. Are you planning to flip this or keep it as a long-term rental?

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    The pre-offer research should be brutal and fast. Kill-or-no-kill in 15-20 minutes, then deeper dive if it passes. First screen: does the rent-to-price ratio make sense? Is the neighborhood stable? What are taxes and insurance actually running? Can I rehab this for X and sell or rent for Y? If it fails that screen, I'm moving on. No time for emotional analysis on something that doesn't pencil.

    If it passes that test, I go deeper: pull MLS comps (sold prices, not active listings), call three local property managers for actual rent comps and honest repair estimates, grab county records for tax history and unpaid assessments, check FEMA flood maps, and get a quick insurance quote. This deeper dive takes 45-90 minutes once you're experienced. Early on, maybe 3-4 hours. The speed comes from doing it the same way every time, not from knowing shortcuts.

    The honest mistakes I've made: underestimating repairs and being too optimistic on rents. Listing rents are fantasy -- you have to call PMs and landlords and ask what similar units are actually getting. And rehab budgets are always wrong. I now multiply the contractor's estimate by 1.15 minimum and still get surprised sometimes. Also, I look at taxes and insurance before falling in love with a property. Some markets have exploded on those, and it kills the cash flow numbers.

    What's your main strategy -- rentals, flips, or BRRR? That changes which metrics matter most in your research.

  • Investor · Member since 2026 · 38 posts · 40 votes
    7mo

    Most people blindly trust listing descriptions when starting out. Don't do that. The thing is, active listings are notoriously unreliable.

    I recently pulled 3,800 active listings in Kansas City and cross-referenced them against the Jackson County Department of Assessment records. The stated square footage almost never matched the official property cards. If you trust agent descriptions, your pro forma is fiction. You must pull the actual county tax records before running any numbers. This exact mindset saved me from buying an Indianapolis property where the local housing authority was under federal HUD receivership. Stop using listing data for your initial math.

    What specific metrics are you using to filter your first batch of potential properties?

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    I start by running the numbers cold, not falling for the property first. I pull sold comps on MLS (not active -- those don't tell you anything), get actual rent data from Facebook Marketplace and Zillow rental listings in the specific neighborhood (not zip code), then plug those into a basic spreadsheet. If the rent to price ratio is trash, or if the property taxes are brutal, I don't even drive by. That's your 15-minute kill test.

    If it passes, I do the deeper work: drive the neighborhood at night, look at the actual condition of surrounding properties, and call a local GC or contractor to walk the house with me. Don't estimate repairs yourself -- you'll be wrong. A contractor's estimate might be off 10-15%, but an investor's is usually off 40-50%. I also pull county tax records for foundation issues, any recent code violations, and flood zones. Takes maybe 45 minutes once you get the rhythm.

    The painful part is that everything on the MLS is overpriced, and rents are often inflated because landlords are listing their wishful rent, not the rent they're actually collecting. I've learned to knock 5-10% off listed rents and add 20-30% to repair estimates just to get realistic. The biggest mistake I made early was underestimating the soft costs -- permitting, appraisals, extended timelines. Now I build in 15% contingency and assume everything takes longer. Have you already found a property you're analyzing, or are you still looking at the mechanics?

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    I second everything @G. Brian Davis said -- especially the part about being too optimistic on repairs. That one mistake cost me probably six figures across multiple deals early on. I thought I knew how to estimate a rehab and I was consistently 12-18% off on the low side.

    For my process: I do a two-tier approach. Tier 1 is the "should I even look at this" test -- rents vs. price, taxes, and a rough neighborhood assessment. Takes 10 minutes. If it doesn't pass, I don't waste time. Tier 2 is the real analysis if it passes tier 1 -- I pull actual sold comps from the last 90 days (not active listings), verify current rents by calling landlords or checking Facebook Marketplace, and I always walk the property myself if I can, or I hire a local contractor to walk it and send video.

    The repair estimates -- I get 2-3 contractor bids and assume the middle estimate is a floor, not a ceiling. Then I add contingency based on the property age and condition. Old house? Add 15-20%. Unknown condition? Add more.

    Biggest mistake I made early was trusting MLS rent comps and online rent estimates. They're routinely inflated. I now only trust rents I can verify through actual local conversations or Facebook rent posts. Saves me from overpaying constantly.

    Timeline: 30-60 minutes for a solid analysis if you've done a bunch of them. Early on, plan for 2-3 hours including research, calls, and spreadsheet time.

    What type of property are you looking to start with, and do you have a local contractor network in place yet?

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Brian nailed the process. I'd just add that the deal killer scan is your best friend early on. Spend 15 minutes on those five things -- rents, neighborhood, taxes, insurance, rough repair cost -- and if it fails any of those, stop. Don't fall in love with the property and then rationalize bad numbers. I've seen too many new investors catch a deal-killing property and then underbid to try to make it work.

    On the repair cost estimation piece -- that's where most newer investors blow it. Don't estimate yourself if you don't have construction experience. Take photos, send them to 2-3 contractors you know, and ask for rough budgets on the major systems: roof, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, foundation. A 30-minute call beats a guess by 20K every time. And then take their number and add 20 percent for unknowns you haven't seen.

    The other thing I'd add: talk to property managers who manage rentals in the area. They know rents that actually rent, not craigslist fantasy prices. And they know problem areas that don't cash flow. You get way better intel from someone who's managing 50 properties in that neighborhood than you do from online comps.

    Are you focusing on rentals or flips, and do you have access to a contractor network yet in your target market?

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Pre-offer research for me starts with a 30-minute "kill test." Price per sq ft in that neighborhood, rental rate trends, tax jump history, insurance quotes, and a rough rehab estimate from a contractor I know. If it doesn't survive that, I don't spend another hour on it.

    If it clears the kill test, I dig: County records for liens, prior repairs, permit history. Facebook Marketplace and Zillow rental comps (not listing rents). Local Facebook groups for contractor references and market gossip. I call a property manager who works that neighborhood and ask "Would you manage this? What would you charge?" That one question tells you if the property makes sense as a rental.

    The painful part is nailing rehab costs. Most new investors bid jobs too tight, then panic when the first contractor comes in 25% over. I've started requiring itemized bids from 2-3 contractors on the exact same scope before making an offer. Costs 3-4 hours but saves 5k+ in bad assumptions.

    My biggest mistakes came from rushing research because I was emotionally attached to a deal or thought someone else would beat me to it. Now I slow down. If I miss one, there's another one coming next week.

    What's your biggest research bottleneck right now -- is it finding comparable rent data, nailing rehab estimates, or something else entirely?

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 926 votes
    7mo
    Quote from @Jwala Nallamala:

    Relatively new to investing and trying to understand

    how experienced investors actually approach property

    research before making an offer.

    I've been doing a lot of reading but I learn better

    from hearing how real people actually work.

    1. What does your pre-offer research process look

    like start to finish?

    2. How long does a thorough analysis take you?

    3. What data sources or tools do you rely on most?

    4. What's the part of the process you find most

    painful or unreliable — the thing you wish was easier?

    5. Have you ever made a costly mistake because

    something in your research process broke down?

    Appreciate any honest answers — especially from

    people who've been doing this a long time.


    I start by plugging into a local network of investor-friendly lenders, property managers, and contractors, so I can verify numbers on the ground. Then I run comps, check rent estimates, and model cash flow before ever making an offer. The hardest part is always vetting repairs and rehab costs remotely, which is why having a trusted local team makes all the difference. It’s all about building systems that let you scale while avoiding surprises.

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Jwala, G. Brian nailed the structure. Let me add one more layer from flipping experience. The deal killer scan he mentioned is 80% of the work, and you should do it fast. If it doesn't pass the kill test, move on. Don't fall in love.

    For me the process is: comp check (sold, not listed), rent check (Facebook Marketplace and actual listings, not Zillow), and drive the neighborhood twice. Once during day, once at night. That takes 30 minutes. If the numbers don't work on a napkin, I don't dig deeper.

    If it passes, then I get serious. I pull county records for permit history, tax history, and any liens. I talk to the listing agent and ask specific questions about what's been done and when. I get at least two contractor estimates for the big ticket items -- roof, foundation, HVAC, plumbing. Not guesses, actual bids.

    The mistake Brian mentioned about rent comps is huge. People list high and rent low. Call actual property managers in the area and ask what's actually leasing for. Same with repairs -- your contractor will underestimate, so add 15-20% to their bid automatically.

    On the timeline, 30-60 minutes for experienced guys is real IF you're in your market regularly and know the neighborhoods. If you're new to the area, add hours. You don't know what's normal yet.

    Are you looking at flips, rentals, or both? That changes which data sources matter most.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    7mo

    As @Ken M. said, I would develop your own spreadsheet to analyze deals.

    I would also call the City (or County) where the property is located and ask for 'Permit Status'. Typically this will tell you a lot..... You want to know if there are any Open Permits, or is there any Unpermitted Work? I.E., you see a obviously remodeled kitchen, but there is no record of a permit being pulled. Big warning sign, and you don't want to pay full value for non-permitted work....

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Jwala, good questions and Ken's on the right track with a structured approach. Here's my process for pre-offer research that's evolved after doing this for a while:

    Start with the actual property first, not the numbers. Walk it. Take photos. Spend 30 minutes looking at the fundamentals -- roof condition, foundation, electrical panel, HVAC, plumbing, and then the layout. You'll catch things that photos and inspections miss. Then pull comps for that specific neighborhood, not your whole city. Neighborhood matters way more than you'd think. A great house one block away from a troubled area is a liability, not an asset.

    For numbers, I use a spreadsheet that models purchase + rehab + holding + sell costs, then works backward from what the property could actually sell for. Not what you hope it sells for. Conservative. Most people skip this and make offers based on BRRRR calculators or back-of-napkin math. Doesn't work. If you can't model it conservatively and still make money, the deal is dead.

    The hardest part is the rehab estimate because contractors will tell you what they think you want to hear. I spend time breaking out room-by-room costs using my historical data before I ever talk to a general contractor. Then I get bids, but I already know what I think it should cost. If bids are 20% higher than my estimate, I ask why.

    How are you currently estimating rehab costs on properties you're analyzing -- are you getting contractor bids first, or do you have a process for validating estimates before you bring pros in?

  • Investor · Springfield · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7mo

    First look takes me maybe 10-15 min. rough ARV, rough rehab, does the math even make sense? If not I move on.

    if it does, I go deeper. Full cost basis, realistic rehab number (not the optimistic one), and I'm modeling what the refi actually looks like — how much cash comes back out, what the payment is, what's left over after vacancy and expenses.

    Honest answer to your painful part question. rehab estimates. Early on I kept underestimating and it ate my margins. Now I build a contingency in by default and that's the number I offer off of, not the best case.

    Biggest mistake: trusting wholesalers ARV logic instead of pulling my own comps. Cost me. if a wholesaler says rehab cost = 30k, tack on an additional 15-20% for safety when getting your numbers.

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    7mo

    Jwala, good questions. Here's my actual process start to finish.

    I pull address, recent sales, tax records, and a basic Zillow/Redfin history first -- takes 15 minutes. I'm looking for price trends, days on market, what the last buyer paid and when. That tells me if this is a legitimate deal or a seasonal pattern.

    Then I walk the property. I don't do drive-bys, I actually walk it for 30 minutes. Roof condition, foundation, siding, HVAC age, flooring, major systems. I take notes on what's cosmetic versus what actually costs real money. A lot of deals die in the walkthrough because what looked good in photos is clearly a money pit in person.

    I pull comps -- at least 6-10 recent sales in the area. Not national averages, actual sales from the last 3 months within a quarter mile. That takes another 20 minutes if you know what you're looking at. I'm backing into an ARV, not relying on someone else's estimate.

    The whole process is maybe an hour if I'm moving fast. An hour and a half if it's a complex property or secondary market where data's thin.

    What breaks most people is the after-offer research. You make an offer, it gets accepted, and suddenly you're doing the real due diligence under time pressure. Get a home inspector you trust and a contractor for a scope estimate. That's where the truth comes out.

    Are you in a market with good MLS access or are you still trying to find properties?

  • Jacob CamhiBusiness Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 132 posts · 40 votes
    6mo

    I'm still relatively new too, but I try to run my pre‑offer research in a pretty structured way. First I do a quick screen in 5-10 minutes: list price vs realistic rent, rough taxes/insurance/HOA, and back‑of‑the‑envelope cash flow. If it clearly doesn't work, I move on.

    If it passes that, I’ll spend 30-60 minutes doing deeper numbers in a simple spreadsheet: purchase + rehab, taxes, insurance, utilities, PM, maintenance, capex, vacancy, then stress test it with slightly lower rents, higher rates, and higher repairs, if the deal only works in a perfect world, it’s a pass. In parallel I dig into the neighborhood and tenant profile: crime trends, schools, major employers, commute, and rent comps for similar beds/baths/condition, plus a reality check using listing photos and Google Street View to understand the block, not just the house.

    The tools I lean on most are a basic deal calculator, public data for taxes/sales/rents, and mapping tools (street view, satellite, crime/school overlays) for the “vibe” check. The parts I find most painful and unreliable are rehab estimates (easy to be too optimistic without contractor input) and rent estimates, especially in quirky submarkets. The biggest mistakes I’ve made or seen are underestimating capex (roofs, HVAC, plumbing) and forcing the numbers because I like the property instead of walking when it doesn’t truly work. I’m still refining the process, but having a repeatable checklist and being brutally honest about the ugly stuff, repairs, vacancies, bad tenants, has helped a lot.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.