Introduction - Looking to Build

WantProfessionalsAgent
Classifieds

Introduction - Looking to Build

Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 2 votes

I'm a manager by trade — I manage a team in the healthcare space — but I'm building toward something bigger. I've spent years watching other people's systems and now I'm building my own.

I'm zeroing in on Section 8 investing in the Detroit market. The numbers make sense, the demand is consistent, and I like the idea of government-backed rent hitting my account every month while a property manager handles the rest. My goal is to acquire 5 properties in the next 12 months using a HELOC and DSCR financing, fully remote from Utah.

I'm not here to flip. I'm building a long-term cash flow portfolio — slow, intentional, and scalable.

What I'm looking for:

An investor-friendly agent in the Indianapolis area who actually works with Section 8 buyers

Connections with property managers who specialize in Section 8 tenants

Anyone who has already done this remotely and can share what they wish they knew first

I'm a straight shooter. I do my homework. If you've got experience in this market and want to connect with someone serious, let's talk.

1Reply
294 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Scott AlfanoBusiness Member
    Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 20 votes
    1mo

    I'm not an agent in either market, but I am a Loan Officer that mainly does DSCR loans. I understand if it's further down the line after you have other parts of your team established, but I'd be glad to talk about the process and connect you with clients in the past that have done DSCRs out of state so you can hear their perspectives.

    Signed and Funded - Scott Alfano
  • Lender · Pickerington, OH · Member since 2026 · 49 posts · 39 votes
    1mo

    Love the plan — HELOC + DSCR can be a really solid combination for building a rental portfolio without tying up all of your cash. I’m a mortgage broker and work quite a bit with investors, so I’d be happy to be a resource on the financing side as you start putting deals together.

    One thing I noticed you mentioned Detroit as your target market but Indianapolis for the agent. If Detroit is the plan, I’d definitely focus on finding a local agent and property manager who know Section 8 well, because that team will be huge when you’re investing remotely.

  • Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    1mo

    @Scott Alfano Thank you so much for reaching out! If you could connect me that would be greatly appreciated 

  • Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    1mo

    @Jenna Fawley 

    Good EYE, Jenna. I had originally typed it with Indi and forgot to change it. 

  • Lender · Pickerington, OH · Member since 2026 · 49 posts · 39 votes
    1mo
    No worries! I figured that was probably it since the rest of your post was Detroit 😊 I don’t have anyone in that market off the top of my head, but I’ll definitely keep an eye out for someone I can send your way.
  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Robert Merlos:

    I'm a manager by trade — I manage a team in the healthcare space — but I'm building toward something bigger. I've spent years watching other people's systems and now I'm building my own.

    I'm zeroing in on Section 8 investing in the Detroit market. The numbers make sense, the demand is consistent, and I like the idea of government-backed rent hitting my account every month while a property manager handles the rest. My goal is to acquire 5 properties in the next 12 months using a HELOC and DSCR financing, fully remote from Utah.

    I'm not here to flip. I'm building a long-term cash flow portfolio — slow, intentional, and scalable.

    What I'm looking for:

    An investor-friendly agent in the Indianapolis area who actually works with Section 8 buyers

    Connections with property managers who specialize in Section 8 tenants

    Anyone who has already done this remotely and can share what they wish they knew first

    I'm a straight shooter. I do my homework. If you've got experience in this market and want to connect with someone serious, let's talk.


     Welcome to BP and while its good that you have a solid gameplan and are niched down - I would definitely recommend at least getting some "on the ground" experience here - Section 8 in a rough market isn't just clicking numbers on a screen remote investing - theres a LOT that can go wrong

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Robert Merlos:

    I'm a manager by trade — I manage a team in the healthcare space — but I'm building toward something bigger. I've spent years watching other people's systems and now I'm building my own.

    I'm zeroing in on Section 8 investing in the Detroit market. The numbers make sense, the demand is consistent, and I like the idea of government-backed rent hitting my account every month while a property manager handles the rest. My goal is to acquire 5 properties in the next 12 months using a HELOC and DSCR financing, fully remote from Utah.

    I'm not here to flip. I'm building a long-term cash flow portfolio — slow, intentional, and scalable.

    What I'm looking for:

    An investor-friendly agent in the Indianapolis area who actually works with Section 8 buyers

    Connections with property managers who specialize in Section 8 tenants

    Anyone who has already done this remotely and can share what they wish they knew first

    I'm a straight shooter. I do my homework. If you've got experience in this market and want to connect with someone serious, let's talk.


    You're not the only investor with this idea for the Detroit market!

    What can we assist you with?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.