Cleveland, OH · Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 1 vote
Been doing some research on properties near Avon, OH. I Found and good listing I hope. What should I look out for when finding private investors? What should I have ready? Why are most Google searches not showing any relevant details on the fact?
Hi Tyrone. In my opinion, anyone you would have to go proactively look for isn't a true private investor. A private investor is your uncle, or your dentist, or a fellow investor you know well - someone that's already in your network. And - again, my opinion - you shouldn't accept private money until you have a track record of success with deals.
There are lots of good funding options these days that aren't private - conventional, DSCR, hard money.
More feedback - in general, if you "found" something sitting on the MLS that everyone else has passed on, it's probably not a good deal. Yes, it's possible it was overlooked; or that you'll catch the seller in a moment of frustration and be able to lowball. But it's not likely.
Finally, can you start with a house hack? This is a great way to get started.
Lender · MD · Member since 2025 · 162 posts · 62 votes
1mo
I’d focus less on finding private investors first and more on being prepared when you do meet one. Most private investors will want to understand the property, your purchase and renovation plan, your exit strategy, and why the deal makes sense. The stronger your numbers and preparation, the easier it is for someone to evaluate the opportunity.
I also wouldn't rely too much on Google. A lot of private lending relationships come through local investor groups, REIA meetings, referrals, and networking rather than public advertising.
Cleveland, OH · Member since 2026 · 15 posts · 1 vote
1mo
@Gregory Acs What if the lane I'm choosing is already guaranteed doing numbers ($8000+ monthly properties) I have all the math down it seems to be the actual pitching I can't find an place to actually pitch.