What % of gross income for expenses?

4 Replies

Hi,

What % do you use as your "rule of thumb" for estimating annual operating expenses when evaluating an income property? Here in Tucson, AZ, most properties that I manage for clients are running between 20-28% expenses of gross rents (excluding Capex, and including management fees of 10%). so I (and my partners) run a 30% expense estimate when evaluating deals. However, I've seen a few people talk about a 50% rule. Does that 50% also include capital expenditures?

I'm essentially trying to see if there's a wide variance geographically, or if somehow we've gotten lucky. (FYI, we manage about 300 doors of all different property types, so I feel like it's a pretty good sample size).

45-55%, if you include vacancy/rent-loss and capex along with expenses.  This is an average over a long period of time (20+ years), large geographic areas and lots of different types of properties.

Do a search here for "50% Rule"...

2 of my properties that I have a 4 year history on, have been about $1,550 annually (for maintenance and "improvements").  Improvements would be costs to keep up with other properties in the area (for example, I installed granite kitchen counters after tenants of 4 years moved out).  The $1,550 does not include vacancy loss, and doesn't include my time to manage (I don't pay PM costs).  

Okay, that's great to know. Thanks for the input. A follow up question would be do you use that "50% Rule" when calculating cap rates, or do you use a different % to not include capex? 

Originally posted by @Yishi Garrard :

Okay, that's great to know. Thanks for the input. A follow up question would be do you use that "50% Rule" when calculating cap rates, or do you use a different % to not include capex? 

Technically, NOI doesn't include capex (and therefore, technically cap rate doesn't include capex). When I look at something resembling cap rate, it's typically to determine my cash-on-cash return on an all-cash purchase, and for that, I want to factor in capex.

So, I don't tend to care too much about cap rate, but more so about cash-on-cash return...so I'll include capex in the equation.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.