How to find out zoning for a house

How to find out zoning for a house

Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I'm looking at a house to potentially buy that I'd like to convert into an office for use by one of my businesses.  It is situated in a residential neighborhood but the backyard shares a wall with a business.  How do I determine the currently zoning use restrictions and if residential are there ways to request a variance?

0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 804 posts · 230 votes
    11y

    I taking for granted that the property is in Glendale.  L.A.also has a city and county Dept of Building and Safety.     http://www.glendaleca.gov/government/departments/community-development/building-safety

  • Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thanks Joe - it's actually in La Canada Flintridge.  The city does have a zone map online which indicates the property is in a mixed use zone.  I suspect the next step would be to contact the zoning office and speak to them directly but would like to know if there are any tips on approaching this.

  • Real estate investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2013 · 798 posts · 171 votes
    11y

    @David S. 

    , it is as simple as you stated- check the online map, stop in and talk to zoning about any issues you might have missed in your plan.  They will typically print off the city zoning regs (that you may or may not have access to online as well) and discuss why your idea could or could not work. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.